We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

That's good news:)) Airport / Piraeus connection

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
That's good news:)) Airport / Piraeus connection

On Wednesday April 11th, first trial trip has been done on the new Suburban Train line, connecting Airport, Athens and Piraeus.

This is actually an extension on the original line that has been operating since the Athens Olympics, just connecting Airport to Athens downtown.

Start of operation has been announced for end of May 2007.

Line will be operating every 30 mins, from early morning to late evening, covering the Airport -> Piraeus Seaport distance in just 50 minutes, under a single ticket. without any train change.

So:

Up till now Airport - > Seaport trip had to be done either on Blue Metro Line, connecting to Green Metro Line on Monastiraki with a trip duration around 70 minutes, either on Express Bus.

New choice will be faster, with a speed around 80 kmh / 50 mph and without any train change.

Speed over 100 kmh / 65 mph will be achieved when full conversion of all on ground lines to subway lines will be finished, estimated at 2011.

Anyway, a 50 mins ride will be faster even from a cab, not to mention the cost :)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: That's good news:)) Airport / Piraeus connection

Nick, you are a GEM, a total JEWEL. Your information is SO up-to-date ... I don't need this info for my present trip, but it sure will matter for future ones.

I have a whole folder of "TIPSAthens" but it really should be called "TIPS-NICK". Thanks a bunch!!!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: That's good news:)) Airport / Piraeus connection

:))

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: That's good news:)) Airport / Piraeus connection

Hi Nick

Thats good news. I cant find any information about this myself, do you know if the trains will terminate at the Peloponnese station in Pireas. I usually use the E96 but this will be a great alternative !

Thanks, Mikri

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: That's good news:)) Airport / Piraeus connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 07:21