We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rembetika and/or traditional greek music in may?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
365 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
rembetika and/or traditional greek music in may?

I see reports that rembetika clubs close in the summer. Is late May already summer or will there be some open in Athens then?

Any suggestions of ones that would be pleasant for solo female traveler (my room is plaka area)? What time is good? Do I have to wait till midnight or does it open earlier?

What about greek folk music/dancing? Are there tavernas you can just go to without being on one of the tours or do people only do this stuff for the tours anymore?

Athens
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rembetika and/or traditional greek music in may?

Hello,

there are lots of Taverns in Psiri and Plaka Area with live music. They don not close in May.

You don;t have to be part of a group to go there. Many locals go there as well.

The music usually starts at 10:00-11:00

Check: www.psiri.gr

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,525 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rembetika and/or traditional greek music in may?

Psirri sounds great to me too. It's already full of people, perhaps one of the most vibrant night areas of the city.

Taki street, which is near the Psirri Sq. ( Hiroon Sq. = Heroes Sq. ) has many nice shops, like "Paei Kairos", "Ora Elladas"

Most of them start earlier than midnight around 22:00. Walk the area and enter somewhere as you feel.

These are mostly live music shops, with rembetika or relative music, with some dance but not a lot.

Other option could be "Stamatopoulos" in Plaka. More folk music + dancing. Putting "Stamatopoulos" in the search box, will give you some dozens of relative forum threads about it.

Of course all these shops are open to the general public, no tours :)

3. Re: rembetika and/or traditional greek music in may?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 11:24