We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Tours.... Bus vs Private or in-between

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Loveland, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Athens Tours.... Bus vs Private or in-between

I am trying to decide the best way to see Athens and possibly Delphi in June. Its just my wife and I and we only have a couple of days. I think we will try to do the Athens Walking Tour for the Acropolis, Plaka and museum if we can get all of that in one day. Does anyone know the tour size for these tours? We (like everyone else I imagine) would like something a bit more personal if it doesnt cost too much but private guides seem expensive.

As far as the Delphi portion... we would like to avoid the bus if possible. But it seems like private tours are very expensive (I have an $850 bid from a licensed guide to Delphi.... is that too much?). Are there any options in between, like a mini bus with 8 to 10 people for a reasonable price? Or am I dreaming....

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,624 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens Tours.... Bus vs Private or in-between

$850 is way too much. . .you can find a million ways to spend this money in Athens, possibly extending your stay 1 - 2 days + a goood dinner, or just keeping the money in your bank account, or spending it in shopping or local delicacies :)

Unfortunately no medium size tours exist. I used to "hate" big tours but there are sometimes now i like them :) running all day for my job, i sometimes want to just leave it in somebody else, even in a larger group. After all you 'll surely "take" what's most important, which is guidance and explanations in the monuments.

Athenswalking tours have really good reviews here. Athens is mainly a walk + metro town, so they fill very very good a void that existed in Athens tourist business. Their groups are of medium size, around 10 - 15 people.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
965 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Tours.... Bus vs Private or in-between

I am not familiar with Athens Walking Tours.

We returned from Athens 2 weeks ago and we used a guide for touring the Acropolis. It was money very well spent.

After we bought our tickets, as we walked to the entrance, we were approached by a guide who offered her services for 85 Euros per person. These guides were official govt licensed guides. But 85 Euros per person was too much for us.

So she directed us to another licensed guide who was offering a small group tour...6 persons....for 20 Euros per person. We accepted that offer and were very glad we did. Our guide was very informative and an interesting speaker. It made a big difference in our visit.....even with all the guidebooks we had brought along.

Enjoy your trip.

3. Re: Athens Tours.... Bus vs Private or in-between

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 12:18