We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay between Athens and Olympia

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay between Athens and Olympia

We need suggestions on places to stay:

We are arriving Athens 11am on Sept.12 and will pick up a rental car to drive towards Olympia and stop by interesting places along the way. We plan to stay somewhere in between Athens and Olympia so we can get some rest before continuing driving the next day. I have looked at the map. It appears from the map that after Corinth Canal, we can stop at Argos, Nafplion or Tripoli. The plan is to get to Olympia and sightseeing Olympia the next day, followed by Delphi and Meteora the next several days.

We need information on where to stay between Athens and Olympia, and what to expect and see along the road (distance and time on driving, out of beaten path places to eat and explore, etc). Any recommendations would be very welcome.

- Seashell

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay between Athens and Olympia

The quickest way to get to Olympia from Athens is along the National Road to Patra and beyond. The places you mention are well out of the way. There aren't all that many interesting stops on the way although you could take a break at Diakofto (which is about half way) and drive up to Kalavrita which is a pleasant town with a sad history.

You might actually do better to turn your trip round and go to Meteora first making a stop somewhere like Kamena Vourla which is a pleasant seaside village near Agios Konstantinos. From there, Meteora would be another 2-3 hours.

You haven't said how much time you've got altogether and it would be helpful to know so that we can offer other suggestions.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay between Athens and Olympia

Unless you are time pressed, you might wish to spend a full day (at least) in the Nafplio area -- although it is in fact a bit out of the way -- visiting in also Mikine and Epidavros archeological sites, which are both at least as much interesting as Olympia (if not more). Skip Argos and Tripoli, -- 'nondescript' is the nicest way of defining both.

When in Olympia, choose the Pelops Hotel, one of the best hotels I found in Greece.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay between Athens and Olympia

Hi,

Thank you for the response. Our itineray is still in develpment. Since this is our first trip to Greece, we want to combine exploration (history and archeology) with relaxation (islands). We plan to drive around first then visiting the islands. We will arrive Athens on Sept.12, rent a car and explore surrounding area, be back to Athens on Sept.16. Then we plan to catch a flight to Mykonos in the morning of Sept.17 spend two days there, then go to Santorini for 3 days before going back to Athens. I'll stay in Athens for another 5 days for a conference before coming back to US.

For the land trip from Sept.12-16, I orginally plan to follow and modify the classical 4 days 3 nights tour provided by many tour companies. The brief description is as follows:

Visit the archaeological site at Mycenae and then on to visit Nauplia. You will pass through the central Peloponnese area passing the cities of Megalopolis and Tripolis then on to Epidaurus where you will visit the archaeological site and the Theatre, famous for its remarkable acoustics. You will see the archaeological site and museum in Olympia, Delphi and Meteora.

I don't have a clear idea if this is the best route or best itinerary. All the tour goes first to Olympia. We don't want to drive 5-6 hours straight the first day we arrive Athens. Philhellene, your suggestion makes me wonder if I should go first to visit Meteora, then drive to Delphi,Olympia and Mycenae, Nauplia. I'm sure there are better itineraries.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

- Seashell

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
363 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay between Athens and Olympia

You can stay in some seaside resort in Corinthos region, such as Loutraki (1 hour from Athens- see for example http://www.poseidonresort.gr/ www.clubhotelloutraki.gr/ ) or the seaside villages of Vrahati (www.alkyonhotel.gr) and Xylokastro ( for example http://www.xylokastro.gr/adv/xylokastrobeach/ or http://www.leconvivial.com/ or www.daphnesclub.com)

Vrahati and Xylokastro are only 1,5 hour from Athens

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay between Athens and Olympia

I too am in the process of developing a Grrece trip combining mainland and islands tours. I have received lots of advice from on here as well as others who have done the same thing themselves. In all cases, it has been recommen to me, to go to Meteora first, followed by Delphi and then Olympia etc, ending up with Nafplio and Epidavros.

However, I have 7 days for this, so the first night off the plane, I am staying in Mati, having picked up my car at the Airport around noon. Hopefully I will be in the sun relaxing by early afternoon.

6. Re: Where to stay between Athens and Olympia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 20:18