We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Do you think it's risky to fly from Santorini to Atnens to catch a 5:00 pm flight to N.Y. or should I make Athens my last stop (2 nights) instead of my 1st so there's no chance I miss my plane. I don't know If I want to end my trip in crazy Athens after being in peacefull Santorini !

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

you should be fine

there are several flights during the day

Aegean is very punctual

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Can totally understand that dilemna! Late flight back to States.. you''re obviously connecting via somewhere?! Although this is often a popular choice (connecting same day from isle to transatlantic)....Nonetheless, a morning flight out of Santorini should (practically) guarantee a 5p connections...shouldn't it? .... only chance of not making it would be a cancellation! To play it on the safe side, why not save the 'finale' for Athens....always a good idea to have the final night, at least, 'close by', in case of 'unforseen circumstances':) When are you travelling? Have a super time and Enoy!

Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Thanks to both of you. We are coming from NY (JFK) and have 10 days. We were thinking Athens 2- Mykonos 4- Santarini- 4. then a morning flight back to Athens to catch the 5 pm flight home. I would like to spend our last night in Santorini but a little worried about missing the plane, but it seems you think we'll be OK. It's our 1st time to Greece, what do you think of that itinerary ? I've read some pretty bad reviews about Mykonos here. Any suggestions on hotels ? Thanks, Lily

Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Litsa, we are traveling in September. Do you think a finale in Ahthens will put us in "culture shock" after 4 days in Santorini ? If We did that, it would mean traveling from N.Y. though Paris to Athens overnight, then waiting fo a plane right to Mykonos. Too much? or go straight to ou rhotel (which we haven't chosen yet) in Athens for 2 nights.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Hey Lily...wouldn't worry to much as everyone is different and has their opinions...You'll soon form yours after your trip as well:) You don't mentioned WHEN you're going...If it's August (which is full-swing peak) it will be pretty packed so make sure you get accommodations (unless you want to chance trying to get something on the spot which on the popular isles...like Mykonos.. can be difficult)...I was there years ago staying out by Ornos Beach but am sure you'll get some great advice/recommendations here on places...That's a pretty late flight getting back to the States..are you overnighting enroute somewhere in Europe?! Again, chances are very good (if not excellent) on the connection...just as long as it's not cancelled...which is why many believe spending at least the last night in Athens is a good idea especially for the transatlantic runs:) Are you flying Olympic or Aegean from Santorini? The latter has a pretty good on-time rep to date....Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Sept is about the best month ... weatherwise as well as the crowds mellowing down...You've got me a bit confused on the flights though.. sounds like Air France..which has several arrivals during the day depending on the connection you make in Paris. You can go straight to Mykonos...again, give yourself a good time-spread and if the connections don't match up, save it for the next day. You'll be pretty shot by the time you get to Athens anyway! As for the 'shock' factor after Santorini...That's a real personal one as many prefer to enjoy Athens as a finale...they've rested and enjoyed the isles enough to take in this incredible City...You can, of course, do it on arrival but usually that first day is a pretty 'zoned' out one due to time changes plus the travel time just to get there:) You're feet don't really hit land till about the 2nd day so saving Athens for the end..when you're READY for it...makes sense to many but bottom line, it up to you and those you're travelling with:) Enjoy!

Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Hi Litsa, You're very helpful, thanks! Yes I am flying Air France. I didn't check to see if I can fly right to Mykonos.( I'm thinking I have to book a seperate flight on Olympic or Agean?) I would be great if Air France flys righ there! I'll have to check. I think I am going to do your suggestion and do Ahtens last. I have a flight choice back home leaving Athens 2ish or 5ish, I chose 5ish to give us more time in Greece and arrive at JFK 11 pm. (I hope) But I just spoke to someone that lived in Greece and she says my husband and I should do Crete instead of Mykonos. Any opinion? Thanks, Lily

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Olympic and Aegean both fly to Mykonos from Athens...try to get a flight with Aegean (if the times work out) ...www.aegeanairlines.gr .. Mykonos and Crete are totally different isles /experiences...Mykonos resembles what one imagines as an isle whereas Crete, being the largest of the isles, has areas where you'd never know you were ON an isle, like Heraklion....4 days barely scratches the surface here unless you pick one place to settle in and venture (as far as you could) from there daily. If you are considering this place, would post seperately in 'Crete' Forum...some wonderful contributors there who can help you out with areas/places to stay... Bear in mind that coming/going from Crete to Santorini usually entail a ferry from Heraklion which is the extremely busy, bustling, vibrant port City that by no means is 'isle-like' but does have incredible history (Knossos nearby) and is more of a 'cosmopolitan' City (if that's what you're looking for:) I'm curious as to what flight(s) you're taking back to NYC...I ask because it sounds really late even for a connection! Enjoy!

Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

Hi Litsa, you are a wealth of information! My flight leaves Athens @ 5:05 pm to Paris to JFK. I think I'll stick to Mykonos and check with Aegean Air. Thanks for the info. I'm running off to work. I'll write again if I have anymore questions. Thanks again for your help! Lily

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini to Athens to catch a plane

You're most welcome...Happy planning and keep enjoyin!