We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Metro Ticket

Hebron, CT, USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Metro Ticket

Hi,

I understand that there is a special priced ticket for the Metro to central Athens and it is cheaper to buy for two people at the same time.

nick_arch wrote:

"double ticket ( one for two persons ) at 10 euros"

We are only in Athens for three nights - so is it OK to buy two double tickets at the airport station? One for immediate use and the other to get back from central Athens to the airport.

Or ar the tickets fixed with regard to journey direction?

We don't plan on using the metro when we are 'there' - just walking - so I thought it might save hassle on the way back to the airport.

Also - on the metro - where are the ticket validation machines? On the platform or in the carriages?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

I'll leave the bulk of the answering for the true experts like nick_arch and others. Just worry that I'd give you bad info even though I think I know the answer.

But validation machines are in the station, most often right before you descend the stairs. I walked right through my first time without validating.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

All very easy, was in Athens recently and had no problems with the Metro tickets. Yes from the Airport you buy 2 tickets and this will cost you 10 Euros, if it is one person it costs 6 Euros.

You validate your ticket in the machines before going down to the platform. They leave it as a matter of trust, which seems strange at first, but I did see inspectors checking tickers on some of the trains so be sure to validate you tickets !! Your airport tickets are valid for 1.5 hours from validation, and the ticket seller told us that one train leaves every half an hour.

It is a very good underground system and a pleasure to use in case you decide not to walk everywhere (it is a very hilly city !).

Enjoy your trip.

Wendy

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

if you are one person you pay 6 euros and you can use for one hour and a half your ticket for any public transportation mean,2 persons they are going to pay 10 euros,so 5 euros per person,for your returning you will need to buy new tickets,on the same price 10 euros for 2 persons,the validation machines are on the way to the platforms...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

...did the same thing MN (lol!)...I still have an used (1-way for .90, I believe in my backpack)....purchased a few in advance just to have.. so I believe that David is asking if he can purchase the RETURN ticket to the airport (2 @10E) at the same time on arrival when he purchases the ticket FROM the airport to Athens?! I think you can...Gas..that works, doesn't it?!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

Ναι.....Litsa they can; )

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

Thanks gas....that's what I thought:) Enjoy all!

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

Here is my question. Can a person buy a return ticket at the airport? If so, for how long after the first validation (to go from the airport to Syntagma) is the return portion valid? 24 hours? or no time limit? Can you validate it any time after purchase to go back to the airport?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

the return ticket will cost 10 euros than 12 ..6+6 you will need ...and the returning tot he aiport must be in less than 6 hours

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

You validate it/use the ticket.. WHEN you're heading BACK to airport and yes, you CAN purchase it FROM the airport and hold onto till you need it for the return...you do NOT validate it any time prior to that:) Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Metro Ticket

sorry i make a mistake......single return ticket within 48 hours it cost 10 euros