We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piraeus to Athens Airport

Calgary
6 posts
Save Topic
Piraeus to Athens Airport

Hi everyone

I need to get from the Piraeus Port to the Athens Airport on Sept 29, 2007. The Ferry gets in at 3:50pm and my flight leaves at 7:45pm to Manchester.

I have a few questions

How reliable are the Ferries at the end of Sept? Are there often delays and how long are the delays usually?

How is the traffic on Saturdays? Would the quickest way be to take a taxi?

I will have a couple of large luggage with me. How is the metro or X96 bus if you have large luggage to cart around with you?

Thanks

paris
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

hi

If you travel with a ferry it will be a problem because they are offen delayed but if your boat is a BLUE STAR OR AN HIGHSPEED no problem .

The bus at this hour is in 45 mm to the airport .A taxi is very expensive

about 50 to 60 euro .

No metro at this hour ,it starts at 5 o'clock , from Piraeus ,you must change one time ( travel about 1h30à 1h45 )

Beware the boats in Greece are a problem !!!

paris
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

hi

If you travel with a ferry it will be a problem because they are offen delayed but if your boat is a BLUE STAR OR AN HIGHSPEED no problem .

about 50 to 60 euro .

No metro at this hour ,it starts at 5 o'clock , from Piraeus ,you must change one time ( travel about 1h30à 1h45 )

paris
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

hi

about 50 to 60 euro .

Calgary
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

Thanks for the info meli78

Well my plan would be to go with Hellenic Seaways either on a Flying Cat II or a Highspeed 5. There are ferries getting in at 3:00 and 3:50. Maybe I should go with the earlier ferry just in case.

Hmm Metro doesn't start until 5? interesting.

Is it a big hassle to take the bus with luggage?

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

The metro will be running when your ferry arrives. Metro is just short walk from the dock where both Blue Star and Hellenic Seaways arrive.

I think the previous poster may have mixed am and pm.

Calgary
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

okay that clears things up. Yes I am speaking in the afternoon.

So between the Metro and Bus. Considering the Luggage situation. Which one would be better? and faster for a Saturday Afternoon?

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

Personally we always use the metro, very clean and reliable in our experience. Literally a 5 minute walk from the dock.

Just one change at Monistaraki (apologies for spelling) for the airport.

I think there may now be direct links between Piraeus and the Airport by suburban rail. Perhaps one of the local experts can advise on this.

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

Hello

At this time the bus will take aprox 1h15min, even longer dependant on traffic.

I usually arrive at Pireaus at 3pm, take the metro to Monastiraki, leave bags in the luggage lockers, enjoy a meal and a stroll then get metro from the same station to the airport later. This may only give you about 1 1/2 hours in Athens but it beats hanging around the airport

Calgary
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

Thank you all for the information it has been very helpful

Cheers :)

10. Re: Piraeus to Athens Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 16:17