We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece in February?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Greece in February?

My wife and I will be in Athens just before and after a month long trip to Egypt. I realize February is not the best time to visit Greece but it is one of the best times to visit Egypt and airline promotions bring us through Athens. Since we’ve never been to Greece we added a few days to our trip. We would like to enjoy some of the sites in and around Athens and perhaps an island or two. We will arrive at the end of January for 3 nights and then again at the end of February for a 3 more.

My questions are:

What will we be unable to visit or see due to the winter season?

What are some things that very much doable in February?

Which islands would be best to visit then?

Will we find many shops, restaurants or sites closed for winter?

Do the ferries run during the winter?

Thanks,

Gottagocit

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece in February?

I totally understand those' deals' going to Egypt in January as well! I also landed (and ended) the trip via Athens...(Side note: It was a Jan 2 arrival in Athens and everyone was bundled up leaving a freezing NY...on the landing at the old airport in Athens you could see people from the plane sunbathing!! - Needless to say, everyone was ripping their coats off on landing..it was HOT...80F..go figure!! - even hotter in Cairo/Aswan/Abu Simbal!)... You'll find ALL Museums, sites, cafes, taverna, shops, etc..in full swing in Athens:) Feb is not really an 'isle' month in Greece..it will be totally off season so you can easily wait till there and see how the weather goes...Daily trips are easily made to neighboring Hydra, Aegina if you so choose:) Ferries will be running but on limited winter schedules, of course! Sounds like quite an adventure:) Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,530 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece in February?

Absolutely right. . .

Make this as an Athens + nearby mainland + nearby islands stay.

So:

Athens:

Acropolis, surrounding sites,

neighborhoods like Plaka, Psirri, Monastiraki. . .

National Arch. Museum, Benaki Museum,

Lucabettus Hill. . .Sounion Temple,

shopping, dining

exploit metro and day tickets.

Basic sightseeing needs at least 2 full days. I 'd do Acropolis at the beginning in Day 2 ( not the one of arrival ).

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189400-c69174/Athens…

Nearby mainland:

You can use a day at beginning or following stay for a day trip to the nearby mainland, most probably by a coach tour, to see

a. either Nafplion town, Epidavros Theater, Mycenae site or

b. Delphi Oracle site.

Nearby islands:

Weather depending, you can visit for a day trip one of Hydra or Aegina. They are near Athens, and you 'll love them, especially Hydra. You just go to Piraeus port by metro, take a hydrofoil and return at the evening.

Your Greece stay is basically

start: arrival day + 2 full days + flight day

following stay: return date + 2 full days + return to USA flight day.

So, if i get it right, we are speaking about 2 + 2 full days plus the flight dates which can be utilized for shopping / some last time sightseeing, depending time of the flights.

Try to utilize these days on a day pattern without specific order:

Day 2: Acropolis, basic walks and sites

full day. . .: Museums + neighborhoods in Athens

full day. . .: Trip / tour to the mainland if you feel so

full day. . .: Trip to Hydra, it's relaxing and picturesque :)

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece in February?

Nick, you have our travel details essentially correct with 2 days plus 2 days. I did not include that we are going over to Rome for a week after our 2 time in Athens to meet up with family and then return Athens the 3rd and final time for just one night before heading back to the US. I left out the 3rd stop since it was only 1 night with only a few hours of daytime to utilize.

All good ideas so far. Thanks,

Gottagocit

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,530 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece in February?

wow! it seems to me that you are going to need many memory cards for your camera :)

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece in February?

Nick,

You are quite right. I am a photography nut (Non-professional) and at the moment I have 4-2 gig and 5-1 gig cards. Hopefully that will be enough.

We take around 1 distant trip a year and this one is going to be a little crazy. We started looking hard at Egypt after several years of putting it off. Our airline wanted about a billion miles to take the long flight in 1st class. Just wanted a little extra room on the loooong flights. After cutting their programs to the bone many US airlines are very very restrictive on using the miles you accumulate. We did however find that we could use the miles to upgrade to Athens for a more reasonable rate HOWEVER the available travel dates to/from were just over 6 weeks apart. With Athens a little over 2 hrs from Cairo we decided that would work.

WIth 6 weeks to work with we started looking at options. Some inlaws have very much wanted to go with us over the years when we visited Rome but could not go so we offered and they accepted an invitation to meet them there this trip for a week to see the area. 1 week down.

The same family also wanted to visit the burial site of a great uncle buried in Liege Belgium since he was KIA in WWII so we'll use 2 days there.

The tour we worked up with Travel in Style for Egypt and Petra Jordan took another 4 weeks.

That will leave 3 nights, 3 nights and 1 night in Athens.

Now packing for this trip will give you a headache. Try to keep the bags small but cover all the bases can be a challenge.

We have left the "obtain stuff" mode of living far behind and are now living in the "experience things" mode. LIfe is too short, enjoy! Right?

Take care,

Gottagocit

6. Re: Greece in February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 01:17