We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour To Delphi?

Bridgwater, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Tour To Delphi?

Arriving in Athens, next week on evening of Mon 22nd until Sat 27th, staying @ Art Hotel in Marni St nr Ommonia Sq. Its our first trip there & would like to go to Delphi while we're there.

Should we try to go independently or book a tour via hotel or other agency? Ive heard that there is a local bus but from where?

Also would you recommend a trip on the new sightseeing hop on- hop off bus as a way of orientating ourselves to the city on our first morning? And if so is there a stop anuwhere near where we're staying?

many thanks

Ruthie

George's Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Private Greece Tours
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Free Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Limo Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour To Delphi?

Hi Ruthie --

I can't answer your question about the hop on hop off bus - but re Delphi - There will be brochures about the tours to Delphi at your hotel. What you want to take is a guided tour so you'll have some direction at Delphi. The location is very large and not so easily traversed without assistance.

Have a great trip.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,334 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour To Delphi?

Hi Ruthie,

All hotels have brochures for the different options and can assist you in booking the right trip. The tour company will pick you up at your hotel, and you will have the option to follow the guide or time to explore on your own when you are on the site. It is very cinvenient for a first time visit.

To give you an idea about the Delphi site - here is an album:

("Se lysbildevisning" means "View slideshow"; "Neste" means "Next"; "Hastighet" means "Speed").

…online.no/album/orderonlytsl/showalbum.php…

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour To Delphi?

I'm not aware of any hop on hop off bus but Athens is quite a compact city and it's quite easy to walk round unless you're totally unfit. All you really need to know is that from Omonia Square, you go down Athinas if you want to see Monastiraki and Plaka or down Panepistimiou if you want to go to Syntagma or the National Gardens.Both roads are well signposted in Omonia.Get yourself a streetmap which you'll find at any of the kiosks (peripteros) or at your hotel.

You don't really need a guide to take you round Delphi and personally I would go independently but you may find it more convenient to take a tour.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour To Delphi?

In the following sites you will find plenty of info about the sightseeing bus in Athens.

www.athensguide.com/sightseeing-bus.htm

www.athensguide.com/map/sightseeing-bus.htm

www.oasa.gr/uk/index_uk.asp

As you will see there are two stops near Omonia, so it will be better to ask the hotel's reception which one is closest.

If you just want to orient yourselves why not do the whole tour.

My advice would be: If you have planned for another day to visit Acropolis you could do this: check if you are interested in any of the museums that the bus stops. If you are, hop off there. Then hop on again and hop off in Plaka, where you can have a nice lunch. If you are not, just stay on the bus and look around. Another thing you can do is what I did in London: hop off if you see sometning you like, take a look and wait for the next bus.

If you do not wish to have lunch in Plaka, or you don't want to stay on the bus for a long time, hop off at Syntagma Square. From there you can either walk down Ermou street (why not do some shopping) and head to Monastiraki to grab a bite or take the metro (blue line, destination Monastiraki) if you don't want to walk!

I am sure later on the experts will read your post and come up with something even better, but if you have more questions please post them!

Regarding Delphi, a guided tour would be better, since you'll have many things to see.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour To Delphi?

Take a look at www.keytours.gr ... you'll see the full day Delphi Tour itinerary...You can, of course, go by public transport (bus) on your own but that's up to you...the obvious advantage of the Tour is it's 'organized' so you won't need to be looking for public transport as well as the expertise of a guide to explain this incredible and BIG site! You're also given some free time to meandor around as well:) The #400 hop on/off bus runs year round and OK for a bit of an orientation run (but can get stuck in some of Athens infamous traffic!)...This is definetely a 'walking' City with pretty much a major part of what you'll want to see within the same 'vicinity'- areas and walkable:) Have a great time and Enjoy!]

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour To Delphi?

If you decide to take a trip to Delphi, and you have the time, I'd definitely recommend the two day tour. It'll be much less tedious and far more rewarding.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
966 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour To Delphi?

I took a 4 day tour with Key Tours last year and Delphi was part of the iten. No problems at all. Natalie was our guide and she was very knowledgeable.

I saw many big tour groups there - upwards of 40-50 people at least. But for my Key Tours group there was only 5-10. Much better! I am not sure if that's the norm. But I am certainly glad it was small group.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour To Delphi?

Just a tip, we visited the site at Delphi a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, however the weather was a bit drizzly and many of the pathways, steps etc were made of slate(it may have been another material, I am no expert) which became slightly slippery, naturally I had sandals on, which were not ideal. So try to wear more sensible footwear than me and you will be able to explore the sight without worry........I have learned my lesson, before someone tells me off.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour To Delphi?

If you decide to take a One-Day tour, the two main ones that run this time of year seem to be CHAT Tours and GO tours ... I think on this forum someone gave quite a detailed reaction to both -- they were staying in Athens and took a total of four one-day tours.

They found that the CHAT tours were better-run with more knowledgeable and pleasant guides, compared to GO tours -- the latter to Delphi gave them a VERY bad experience (bored uninformed guide -- rushed them everywhere) so they told their agency NOT to book them to "Go" tours again.

For peole whose time is quite limited I have reluctantly recommended doing a day tour llike the above, with one proviso: take a lunch, don't go with the group to a taverna.

THe bus takes until nearly 11 to get there, and then about 1 pm they drag youoff to a taverna to have 10-euro drawn-out lunch as a group.

Then u don't go back to the site, lyou just are driven back to athens. And you don't have enough time to see the Tholos (circular temple) or gravesite down the road.

If you bring a sandwich and drink, at the outset you can arrange with the driver & guide that you will stay on site and they can pick you up after the taverna stint. It gives you nearly 2 more hours.

ABOUT the SIGHT-SEEING BUS -- u can get it on Syntagma squre, or inside the Plaka district, OR in Front of the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Last May (altho I've been in Athens maybe 9 times) I took the bus to see whta it offered.

It was handy to get on (we got on at Zeus) & only 5 E, paid on board. NOTE: there was a LOT of doubling back, and sitting in traffic. if you look at the itinerary at the website you will notice this.

HOWEVER -- there is a plus. IT is good for 24 hours... so you can use it in lieu of a taxi! We used it to get from our hotel (near Zeus) to the Archeological Museum & back... my companions also used it to get to city market L& back. Less intimidting than regular busses, in which you never know where you're going.

10. Re: Tour To Delphi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 09:18