We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atm? credit cards? cash?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
atm? credit cards? cash?

Hi all,

Im leaving for Greece in one week. Cant wait.

I have a question:

Should I use traveler's checks, my credit card or an ATM card while in Greece?

Please note:

My Wachovia credit card charges me 1% when charging in

Greece. I'm not sure if there are any other charges involved.

And I don't know what my ATM charges.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Nik

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atm? credit cards? cash?

well there are many atms all over greece where you can use any type of card...as i know for european union travellers the greek banks are completely free... ...but for us cards is better to ask the banks here if they accept your card..but at last i dont think that you will have problem cause the greek banks are really modernized and they use high technology..also they have contacts with eurpe and usa too...

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: atm? credit cards? cash?

Use your credit card wherever it's accepted though lots of places in Greece still don't take them so you will need cash.

You will get a better exchange rate with the ATM card than with Tchecks.

I have used both ATM and CCards there without problems, make sure you have an ATM card with a 4 digit pin # though.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atm? credit cards? cash?

We took lots of travellers cheques and they were a pain to use. Only certain banks cashed them so be aware of that. We cashed them at the local western union cash counters. One day we were charged 2% on the amount we cashed another time it was a fixed amount. They were not widely accepted in stores or hotels as i thought they would. I would use my credit card next time. We infomed the credit card company that we were going to Greece and so there may be some charges out of the ordinary. They just put a note in our file.

4. Re: atm? credit cards? cash?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2005, 00:59
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: atm? credit cards? cash?

just got back from greece and realized that cash was the easist to use. we attempted to use credit cards several times and it seemed difficult. we simply went to the atms when we needed money and only used credit for rented cars or paying for hotels. do not recommend travelers checks.