We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Imerovigli to Oia Hike

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Imerovigli to Oia Hike

I will be in Santorini in 2 weeks staying in Imerovigli. Has anyone hike from there to Oia and if so, is it a hard walk and how long did it take you. Or is it better to hike from Oia back down to Imerovigli? Do you recommend a morning or afternoon hike and any other info on this hike is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, /Rose

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Imerovigli to Oia Hike

Just noticed I put this in the wrong forum. It's meant for the Santorini forum but I don't know how to move it. Sorry. Will leave it here for now as I don't want to double post so if anyone can help with my questions I'd appreciate it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Imerovigli to Oia Hike

We hiked the path from Imerovigli to Oia in early June and loved the walk. Definitely do it in the early morning, much to hot in mid-afternoon. You are fully exposed to sun the whole way and only one kiosk to buy water. It took a couple of hours. It is 10k by road, I think closer to 15 by the paths over the hills. You'll be joined by a variety of friendly, stray dogs who are happy just to tag along until each is replaced by another. Lunch in Oia and a taxi back made for a perfect day.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Imerovigli to Oia Hike

We hiked the path from Imerovigli to Oia in June of last year. As the other poster mentioned, the walk takes about two hours. The most challenging part of the walk was going down a long, steep, rocky hill towards the end of the first half of the hike; the kiosk that the other tripadvisor member mentioned is not far from the bottom of that hill. The rest of the walk, from the kiosk to Oia, was considerably less challenging. I'd recommend doing the hike in that direction instead of from Oia to Imerovigli, simply to save having to hike up that one particularly steep slope.

We did our hike in the afternoon on a hot sunny day, wearing sandals, but didn't find the heat or sun or our lack of proper hiking footwear to pose any problems. We passed fewer than 10 other hikers, all in the section between the kiosk and Oia. All were walking from Oia to Fira, and were surprised to hear we'd been walking approximately 90 minutes at the time they passed us -- they had [incorrectly] assumed they would be able to walk the path all the way into Fira in less than an hour!

If we were to do the hike again, we'd do it in the morning, wear running or hiking shoes instead of sandals, and bring along more water.

We were going to do the hike again while staying in Imerovigli two weeks ago, but this time hiked on Skaros Rock in Imerovigli instead. It's a much shorter but equally fun hike offering similarly spectacular views.

Bend, OR
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Imerovigli to Oia Hike

This post is 2 years old, but just in case anyone else is curious about this path: I ran from Imerovigli to Oia as part of my training for a 10K. I had to walk sections of it (there are two hills that are quite steep) and I had to stop for a few minutes to let a team of mules pass (carrying heavy sacks of cement up to an old church) and still, it only took me about an hour, which is my normal 10K pace (without walking or stopping), which leads me to believe that this path is less than 10K. And yes, it was hot! I started at 7:45 AM and by the time I finished, I was extremely hot and sweaty, and it was only mid-June. There is no shade. The earlier you go, the better, as the sun rises on the other side of the island and the path is shaded in spots until about 8 or 8:30. I'd recommend going right at sunrise. By the way, I took a taxi back for 10 Euros (but I think you can negotiate a better price than that). And to answer the question about which direction to go, I suppose going from Oia to Imerovigli would be good too, but I liked the idea of heading to the end of the island, vs. heading toward the middle. Final advice: Take water and a camera. Try not to twist an ankle. And enjoy. It's stunning.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Imerovigli to Oia Hike

We did the walk last week from Fira to Oia. It took us around 3 hours but only becuase we took so many photos and also stopped a couple of times for a beer and to enjoy the views. Was really great walk. We stopped at a little caravan which seemed to be in the middle of no where on the side of the road and had a meal and beer which was really lovely.