We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

Hi,

Thank you for all the help all of you have given me in helping me to plan our 5 day Athens vacation. Me and my husband just got back and we had a wonderful time.

We flew Olympic, and were pleased. I have read some negative reviews about them, but luckily, the flights were on time (well, the flight back was a bit late), the food was good, and so was the service.

Athens Gate Hotel was incredible. We had the view of the Temple of the Zeus from our room. And the view of the Temple and Acropolis from the roof top restaurant. Well worth the money. It's located 3 min away from the Acropoli station and is very close to all the attractions.

We took the metro to and from the airport, 10 euro each way - easy and convenient. We took the metro everywhere we needed to go if we were being a bit lazy, or couldn't walk there because it was too far (i.e. the archaeological museum).

The first day we did the Jewish museum, the Panantheic stadium, national gardens, Syntagma square (with change of the guards ceremony), walked to the Omonia station with a stop at the market, and then to Monastiraki. Great day, really enjoyed the guard changing ceremony.

The second day we watched the Independence Day Parade, which was great. Then we went to Lycabettus Hill and Fillopau Hill. Both worth visiting, the views from them are terrific.

Third day we saw the Acropolis and all of the other monuments (i.e. Temple of Zeus, Roman Agora, Hadrian's library, etc.) Acropolis was definitely a favorite of the day.

Fourth day we went to the Archaeological Museum (we were glad we moved it to this day rather than visiting it the first day), and went to Cape Sounion afterwards, taking the KTEL bus there, via the coastal route. 5.40 euro each way. One of the highlights of the whole trip was the Temple of Poseidon. Breathtaking views and amazing temple.

Last day we went to see the Stoa of Eumenes from the outside, and went to the Benaki museum.

We walked around Plaka almost every day, great shops and food places there.

Overall, the vacation was amazing! Thank you again for helping with the planning. :)

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
The Athens Gate Hotel
The Athens Gate Hotel
4,027 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Acropolis
Acropolis
27,102 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Monastiraki
Monastiraki
4,429 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Cafe Lycabettus
Cafe Lycabettus
81 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Roman Agora
Roman Agora
586 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Hadrian's Library
Hadrian's Library
322 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Temple of Poseidon
Temple of Poseidon
1,813 Reviews
Sounio, Greece
Benaki Museum
Benaki Museum
1,277 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
11,828 Reviews
Athens, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

I get goosebumps reading these great reviews..lol!! Thanks so much for taking the time to come back and let us all know what a grand time you experienced.. and I agree, Olympic may get a bad wrap..but can't beat it for starting the 'Greek' adventure before you land:):) ... Wonderful details..fabulous itinerary..One question only?? When are you heading back?!!!! So very glad you ENJOYED!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

I havent any second thought from the first day i have read your itenary that you are going to have an excelent trip,you have organize it great,and you finally

made a wonderfull trip...glad to see that you enjoyed so many attractions...proving that Athens city is not a fast stop before the islands....you can spend easily one week and you have just see the must attractions....

Mpravo zaichik22!!

Mentioned in this post
Athens City Hotel
Athens City Hotel
117 Reviews
Athens, Greece
United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

Gas and Litsa, thanks for the kind words. :) We hope to come back to Athens again, as well as visit the islands. Thanks again for all your help.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

Great review :)

It seems to me that you exploited your time very well, under a good plan :) Gratz!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

Thank you very much for coming back and posting a report!!!

It sounds like you had a blast!

Come back soon!

Thalia

United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

Nick and Thalia, thanks. :) We did have a great time! Athens is a wonderful place to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

Z- great review..Litsa and I get a bit defensive of Olympic, as we both use them JFK to Athens regularly, and find the pilots really excellent.You did Athens perfectly..I bet you want to go back!

glad you had fun!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

Thanks John. :) And of course I want to come back soon. :)

Athens
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

Ι"m really just glad that again, there's someone who has taken the right advises by the right people,

and yet, I' m glad that the Olympic still serves for convenience. We all know that it is one of the safetiest aircompanies worldwide, but it is good to hear commends about service and food.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Review of 5 day vacation in Athens

This just proves (despite MY crotchety reputation!)that some Philadelphians DO have good manners! THank you, Z, for returning to the boards, and reporting on the success of your trip and the usefulness of TA tips... it motivates us regulars to keep on advisin' (as Litsa would write it).