We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Athens to an island

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
12 posts
Save Topic
Day trip from Athens to an island

We are staying in Athens for a limited time and would like to spend one day on the beautiful Greek beaches.

We were recommended a 1 day Saronic Cruise to the Saronic Islands (Hydra-Poros-Aegina) by a travel agency. Is that worth it for one day?

We were looking for something relaxing, to lay on the beach and enjoy a beautify view.

Should we do the cruise, or is it better to pick an island and visit it by ourselves? If so, what island would you recommend and how would we get there from Athens?

Thanks!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Athens to an island

If its a one day trip and you just want to hang out on a beautiful beach..I'd say Aegina or Poros, and as lovely as Hydra is (actually stunning) it is NOT known for beaches. I absoulutely think doing it yourself is the best way to go. Metro to Pireaus, and jump on the fastest boat there. Have fun!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Athens to an island

The one day Saronic Island cruise does not give you any time to sit on a beach. So, if you just want a beach Aegina or Poros, although Aegina is closer to Athens.

Or you could stay in Athens and go to the beach at Glyfada.

But my recommendation would be Aegina

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Athens to an island

I also vote for Aegina... boats go all the time, and it's only about 40 minutes. If you go, rent yourself a 4 wheeler or scooter because the best beach is not in the port city ... and with the scooter you can also swoop by the most perfectly-preserved Greek temple fo all... in mid island Temple of Aphaia...

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Athens to an island

An interesting question was posted recently about the feasibility of a day trip to Syros. This can certainly be done taking the 7.15 catamaran and coming back in the evening. The island capital, Ermoupolis, is a beautiful city well worth spending a day.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Athens to an island

Metro to Pireaus, then ferry to Aegina. I do it every time I stay in Athens. Just make sure that you validate your Metro tickets in the machine or else you could get a fine.

Aegina is near - and the main town, where you arrive is lively with port side tavernas and shops selling the local produce - pistachio nuts, in every form you can think of.

http://www.aroundaegina.com/

Trains are frequent and only take about 25/30 mins.

Good journey/kalo taxidi

Bedfordshire...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Athens to an island

Hi Dream7

We went to a lovely litle island not far from Athens called Agistri (reached by the flying dolphin from Pireaus). It's just the other side of Aegina and very pretty. However, if you take the bus/tram from Pireaus out along the coast, there are miles of beautiful long sandy beaches so you might not need to go island hopping!! We drove passed them when on our way back to the airport from the port of Pireaus and thought how lovely the beaches looked in the afternoon sun!

Aegina is a nice island and far enough from Athens if you want a day trip. Take the flying dolphin as it's quicker than the ferry.

when in Athens, make sure you take a ride on the small tourist train called the Happy Train which you can pick up from the square outside all the cafes where the glassed topped covers to the excavated greek roads were found in the middle of town, where the cafes join the shops. Have fun! Tanya

7. Re: Day trip from Athens to an island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 07:22