We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boat to some hole in a rock?

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
35 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
boat to some hole in a rock?

Hey all! I'm planning a trip to Athens next month... a friend of mine's parents went several years back and said that they took some sort of tour that boated them out and under a rock that had a big hole in it. They said that the way that the light hit or something made everything a really rich blue around them. They can't remember what it was called though...

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Hope I don't sound too stupid so be nice! :P Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boat to some hole in a rock?

Sounds like a boat ride during which the boat is going into a cave.

This takes place in many islands, but I cannot imagine where this could happen close to Athens!

Ask them again if they've been to someplace else besides Athens.

Thalia

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
canada
Level Contributor
616 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boat to some hole in a rock?

There's the blue caves of paxos. Maybe that's what they were talking about. You can get this tour from Parga and from Corfu.

pargagreece.com/excursions/…Paxos_1_en.htm

Mentioned in this post
Parga
Parga
Preveza Region, Greece
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boat to some hole in a rock?

hmj,

I'd hate to ask a stupid question here. But are we sure this big hole in a rock, as you put it, was in Greece?

I know of a notorious Grotta Azzurra in Capri and a no less famous Blue Grotto in Malta that seem to fit your description... they're both quite some distance away from Athens.

Regards,

P_M

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Blue Grotto
Blue Grotto
3,507 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
stoughton,ma
Level Contributor
279 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boat to some hole in a rock?

we went on a boat ride that sounds exactly like this, down to the bright blue in the cave, on the island of corfu, which is part of greece. perhaps they visited this island?

steve

Stockport
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boat to some hole in a rock?

It sounds like Melissani Lake on Kefalonia, but that's a long way from Athens too.

simplyterry.net/kefalonia_melissani_lake.htm

Elaine

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
35 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boat to some hole in a rock?

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

From the looks of it, I guess they went to other Greek islands, but they didn't clarify that to me when they were telling me about it. I simply told them I was going to Athens, and they suggested this - so I assumed it was near Athens. Sadly, we aren't going to have enough time to island hop much...

But thanks again for your input!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
7. Re: boat to some hole in a rock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 11:21