We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick Pockets

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Pick Pockets

Have just returned from a lovely week in Athens which was nearly spoiled by my husband getting his wallet stolen on the metro.

Just a warning to those considering going to Athens and using the metro - be very wary of those around you. It gets very busy, making tourists an easy target.

We have used the metro systems in several European cities without any problem.

Be aware and avoid phone calls to banks etc and a visit to the police station.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick Pockets

A few months ago there was a similar post on the Lodnon forum. I replied by stating the (at least what I think it is) obvious:

This is a big city! Like in every big city you have to use your common sense in order to stay safe, not get food poisoning, not get any of your belongings stollen and not to get hit by a bus coming from the "wrong" direction!

Tourists aren't an easy target! That would be a relief for us locals (just kidding) but your husbant's wallet wasn't stollen because he was a tourist! It was stollen because it was in the wrong "place", possible in a pocket or in a backpack?

Everywhere you go, just use your common sense and you will be fine!

Shall we wait for a report or this is the only "moment" of your trip that you wish to share with us?

Thalia

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick Pockets

I also "withnessed" a person beeing pickpocketed in Athens (meaning that we have been together when it happened, but obviously anyone of us was aware of it). The common sense precaution is to use safe pockets (zipped) or money-belts. However, my impression is that Athens is much safer than many European cities that I've visited!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick Pockets

Funny thing I've been riding the Athenian buses and trains for 30 years & I have never been the victim of a pickpocket...same thing in New York,Berlin,Tokyo,London,Paris & pretty much everywhere in the world...

How come?

I simply use COMMON sense...,and of course NEVER,EVER carry a wallet....as I've learned during my years in NY a wallet equals a pickpocket...no wallet NO pickpocket :)

Carry your money in a wad (always in the FRONT pocket of your trousers or in the front pocket of your shirt) and you credit cards in a thin plastic case ....and you will be fine...

Athens has as many pickpockets as any huge city in the world,no more no less...

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick Pockets

Sorry, I have to disagree about your advice to put money in your front pocket. My husbands wallet was in a zipped front pocket!

The tone of other replies seems to imply that he deserved what he got, which is rather disappointing as my point was to warn others to be careful. As I've already said, we have travelled on many other transport systems in Europe without a problem. No doubt, some unsympathetic travellers will say we have just been lucky in the past!

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick Pockets

I am very sory that you got that impression. Beeing myself, not in Greece but in Italy, victim of a theft (including my ID, which complicated things) I am truly simpathetic. My message was more directed to the potential readers of this thread, as an advice to beeing careul. If I offended you, I sincerely apologise, I did not had any intention to do such thing.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pick Pockets

I usually don't speak for others, but this time I will and I will say that I don't think any of us implied anything like this!

Although I could -as easily as you- presume that you are implying that Athens is not safe since it is the only city you had such an incident happened to you. I could even assume that you are trying to denigrate it, since you were here for a whole week and you don't tell us anything else but this!

It is rather easy to misinterpret what people mean by what they say or write, but I will try not to and I am kindly asking you to do the same.

I will also ask you not to judge a whole place from just an incident. A very unfortunate and sad and scary incident, but I sincerely hope that you will have other, more pleasant stories to tell from Athens besides this one!

toronto
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pick Pockets

My father got pickpocketed in the Tram . These people are professional and are looking for an opportunity. Let it be a lesson to be extra careful wherever you travel. Don't fault Greece it could have happened anywhere.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pick Pockets

"Sorry, I have to disagree about your advice to put money in your front pocket. My husbands wallet was in a zipped front pocket!"

Well he still had a WALLET....:) it is virtually impossible to steal a wad of money.....on the other hand it is far easier to steal a wallet that's why I said that not carrying a wallet is the only solution...

I didn't mean to say that your husband has done something wrong,just to give my opinion on how to be as "pickpocket proof" as possible in ANY city not only Athens...

On the other hand I strongly prefer pickpockets to street muggers...(non existent in Greece...)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pick Pockets

I'm shocked, I had no idea someone could get picpocketed from their front zippered pocket.. I would notice if someone unzipped my jacket or pants and took something from me.. they must be very good at what they do. I will be careful when I go to Greece even more so now that I know they are magicians!

Athens
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pick Pockets

Don't worry Prime-Image, your seem smart enough to protect yourself

Enjoy