We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food near Grand Bretagne

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Food near Grand Bretagne

Hi again-

One more post. We are looking for authentic Greek food recommendations near the Grand Bretagne. We are splurging on our hotel (obviously) and want a few reasonable food options as well as one nice, special dinner that is more expensive.

We would love any recommendations-

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

One of my favorite places just past the Square there and up a block is 'Tzitzikas and Mermingas'..am sure a local will provide exact Street here..It's literally 'around the corner' from the huge post office that's on the Square! ... DO go up to the roof-garden at the GB pre-dinner for a drink or 2..and maybe an app..while enjoying that view:-)) Another wonderful place is in Monasteraki called 'Savvas'..for some great chicken kebabs!! You will totally the GB!!!! Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

Hi!!

Reasonable food options close to your hotel...

Tzitzikas and Mermigas restaurant,10 minutes walk from Gb...at Mitropoleos street

Tzitzikas and Mermigas

Mitropoleos street 12-14

tel.00302103247607

Hermion restaurant at Cathredal sqaure( at mitropoleos street...see location and Map on their site

Hermion restaurant

http://www.hermion.gr/en/

Restaurant for special occasion....

Edodi restaurant..

one of the finest restaurants of Greece,only 8 tables so dont forget to make reservations..

www.edodi.gr

Varoulko restaurant,Michelin star greek sea food cuisine...

Varoulko restaurant ,Pireos street.

http://www.varoulko.gr/uk/varoulko.html

Varoulko has also a terrace with views of the Acropolis,but i dont think a person stay in GB hotel has any need of Acropolis views,GB has the nicest views of any other hotel to historical monuments,especailly from the roof top bar: )

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

Hiya!

At the corner of Mitropoleos street and Syntagma square you will find Politi.co. A fast-food type restaurant with excellent Minor Asian cooking!

On Nikis street, between Ermou and Mitropoleos streets you will find Giuloglou, a Turkish pastry shop with sweets that will blow your mind!

If you find yourself in need of a snack, head for Ariston bakery on Voulis str, near its corner with Karageorgi Servias street. The best cheese-pie of the world!!!

You won't love the recommendations Loca, you will love the food! LOL!

Thalia

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

We were staying at the Royal Olympic Hotel (Ath Diakou), Right beside it (on its west side) is a small family restaurant called The Athens Family Restaurant. The food was all home cooked and was a la carte. It was of reasonable cost for the quality of the food, which was quite good.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

Right in front of the Grand Bretagne hotel is an entrance to the Syntagma metro station, which serves the Blue and Red lines.

Take the Blue line to metro station Keramikos, and you will be in the "Gazi" district, which is nice to stroll around, or to visit the Technopolis arts complex (formerly a coke/coal burning factory to produce gas energy).

Right next to the metro station, there are several worthwhile restaurants on Persefonis Street. One is "Sardelles" for mid-priced fish-based menu, and its sister restaurant "Butcher Shop" next door for Greek-style grilled steaks and burgers. I also like "Mespilea" at the other end of Persefonis street, which has a nice variety of Greek cooking. In the middle of Persefonis Street you'll find the famous "Mamacas" restaurant with a wonderful Myconos Island-type of decor. The food there has become somewhat iffy of late (for the prices charged I expect better food & service).

After dinner, go to the end of Persefonis Street where the entrance to the Technopolis complex is located, cross the street to get to the Ermou street pedestrian walkway. Follow this lovely cobblestone route towards Thission metro station, and observe the Acropolis ahead (as well as the Keramikos ruins to the left, the ancient cemetary). In the evening when the Parthenon monument is lighted up, it's a magical view, especially if there's a full moon!

At Thission find Adrianou street (parallel to the subway trainline) where there are countless cafes, or if you are up to it, follow the wide pedestrian route of Apostolou Pavlou...It's an uphill, but it eventually leads around the Acropolis hill and to the Acropolis Metro Station on the red line (taking you straight back to the Grande Bretagne).

Or you may wish to do the route in reverse --> From Syntagma take the red line to Acropolis metro station, walk down Dionysou Aeropagitou & then Apostolou Pavlou street to Thission, take Ermou street pedestrian walkway to get to the Persefonis Street restaurants & return to the hotel from the Keramikos metro station on Persefonis street.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

Another option.

Right in front of the Grand Bretagne hotel is an entrance to the Syntagma metro station, which serves the Blue and Red lines.

Take the Blue line to metro station Monastiraki. (Actually, the distance from the G.B. is not far, you could also walk here by following either Ermou street, the pedestrian shopping thoroughfare, or Mitropoleos street, which passes along the Athens Cathedral). Monastiraki square itself is still under renovation, and has the ambiance of a construction site. But there are some nice dinner options just a few blocks away.

Follow Ifaistou street (the flea market street) to get to Avyssinias square. It's a small open space filled with antique furniture sellers, and tucked behind them there is the Cafe Avyssinia taverna. If you do a search in this forum, you'll see other people have commented extensively on it.

Continue along Ifaistou to get to Ouzo Melathron, another 'mezze' place specializing in a wide variety of Greek appetizers (similar to Tzitzikas & Mermigas mentioned above).

And the Savvas souvlaki/gyro place is just off Monastiraki station, at the bottom end of Mitropoleos street. They specialize in pork or chicken gyro, and opposite is Thanasis which serves ground beef kebabs.

From Monastiraki station find Miaouli street. It's a narrow little street leading to the heart of the Psyrri (variant spellings Psiri, Psirri, Psyri, etc) district, which is chock-full of tavernas and restaurants. Some of the places here are nice and affordable, some of them (esp. the ones with live bands) can be tourist traps.

I stick to "Platia Iroon" taverna (in the tiny square of the same name at the end of Miaouli street to the left), the souvlaki/gyro place on the opposite side of the square (under all the flashy Vegas-style lighting), and the taverna next to that, can't remember the name. At the same Vegas-lights location, you'll find "Ta Serbetia" a tiny cafe serving Greek pastries. The servings are very generous, you can share if you like.

Tucked away on Christokopidou street (catty corner from the "Pagotomania" gelato icecream parlor) you'll find "Naxos" taverna, one of the few simple 'old-style' place left in this flashy entertainment district. It serves mezzes (appetizers) to accompany your wine, beer or ouzo.

If you are up to exploring the Psyrri area, you will find nice after-dinner cafes & bars with outdoor seating. Find Ag. Anargyron street, where there are many cafes around the church of the same name.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

Hello, one of my favorite restaurants in Athens is located just one block away from Grande Bretagne Hotel! It's called Pasaji and it is situated in an arcade called Stoa Spiromilou, close to Voukourestiou street, which is next to Grande Bretagne hotel. No view I'm afraid - just watching the people that pass through the arcade. No internet site, but if you browse through the internet, you will sure find many photos. Very nice classy decor, outdoor and inside sitting (take your choice), good service, and it is preferred both from visitors and locals. Went for the 3rd time a few weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. For three people we paid approximately 150 Euro (a first course and a salad in the middle, 3 main courses, 2 desserts and a bottle of greek wine). Excellent quality, a mix of traditional and modern Mediterranean cuisine, and an extensive wine list. The best desserts I have tried in Athens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

Hi Alexandretta,

I guess experiences vary. I've had a mediocre meal at Pasaji.

Went there one evening recently and the decor is indeed nice and classy but the moody lighting was so weak I could barely see what I was eating.

I ordered a chicken dish and the skewered pieces of chicken arrived half-cooked. When I asked for the meat to be re-cooked, the staff were upset at my audacity to find fault with the food, explaining that the pink flesh was 'natural' or 'intentional' (can't remember which). In the wake of bird flu, not to mention the risk of salmonella, one should be extra careful about cooking poultry.

The menu selections are interesting but portions are small. I'm not a big eater, I like an assortment of 'mezze' rather than huge portions. But for the prices (50 euros per person) one is paying at Pasaji I expect something memorable, and I can't say the food is exceptional, only the decor and the service.

A few blocks away there's "Politico" and "Tzitzikas & Mermigas" which IMHO are better value for money.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

A useful tip for visitors:

Until recently, all Greek restaurants and tavernas had a compulsory 'cover charge'. This was a flat fee per person to cover the cost of water, bread, and 'service' (in lieu of tips).

Now water and bread is optional, but a lot of upscale places bring you a basket of bread and bottled water whether you ask for it or not.

If you want to save a few euros on the bill, you have the right to refuse the bottled water and ask for tap water instead. Also, check the price of bread as it can vary from place to place, and if you are not going to eat any, ask to have it removed from the table (and the bill).

At an upscale pizzeria we were charged 4 euros per person for water & bread! (Who eats bread with pizza anyway?)

10. Re: Food near Grand Bretagne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 15:19