We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

I am very happy to inform you that as from today, all sites and museums will not close at 3pm.

More specifically sites and sites' museums will close at sunset.

For the closing times of the rest of the museums, check individual websites or -even better- ask us and we'll give them a call.

At that point I will kindly ask you if you use this post as a source of information. Meaning, please don't post any comments for how much public servants work (or don't work) in Greece, since the aspects of this situation were plenty and complicated.

Thalia

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

Thank you, thank you thalia for being the 'watch-dog' on this uncertain issue!! Many people have asked me about this, and now I have something to tell them!

I agree, the situation is complicated. Actually I think for travellers to Greece, the Month of May itself is complicated ... ferries, tours, site hours -- so many are subject to change or "not official yet". It takes until JUne 1 for it all to shake down.

I think that's why next year I'm waiting til late May to come.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

Hey, wow! I just noticed! My posts are up to 998!!

Maybe I should do some of those short posts so beloved of TA regulars, such as

"LOL!! or

"Enjoy!!"

d'ya think??

Lux
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

Congratulations travelerjan!

H2

Lux
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

Come on.

Thank me and it´s .....

H2

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

Woooo, thanks H2!!!

Boy, that was easy! Here I was thinking I had to supply answers every time I logged on. How dumb of me. That's over.. now it's just :0 :) etc etc

2,000, here I come!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

Bump!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

Well I don't know if this source is right (it is the web site of the major news agency in Greece and the article is dated JUNE 4,2008)

www.in.gr/news/article.asp…

but according to it the problem REMAINS.

Maybe some expert should clarify the matter bu phoning the Ministry of "culture"......

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

postomious, maybe for those of us who cannot read the Greek, you would provide a summary??? That newspaper does not seem to have an english version. I gather from the photograph, that the tourists depicted are unable to go up to the Acropolis? Is it closed?!?!?

Can someone fill in for us what the true problem is? Is the govt. unable to pay guards' salaries? Is there a strike, official or unofficial? TH13, help!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

The source of my post was the Ministry of Culture (excuse me if I don't put the Greek Culture in quotation marks)!

The photo is of people waiting to get to the Acropolis. It says that some museums and sites do close earlier, but doesn't mention any dates, so it could be based on "old" information.

I promise to check it out first thing on Monday morning!

I am very sorry if my post is inaccurate but that's what I was told by the Ministry of Culture and the Archaeological Department!

Thalia

Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summer Hours for Sites and Museums!

Thalia, we all appreciate the hard work you do letting us know what’s going on. If the Ministry’s changed its policy, or some sites are making their own, it’s hardly your fault. Just another lesson in learning to roll with the punches in Greece. At least allow yourself a cup of coffee Monday morning before you call the Ministry of Culture! Mother’s orders.

Susan