We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying back to UK from Athens.

merseyside
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
flying back to UK from Athens.

My daughter is finishing an island hopping summer holiday off at Athens airport, late August. Her friend will be flying from Athens elsewhere, but my daughter will fly back to UK.

The only airline that allows you to book a one way flight from Athens home is Easyjet, but they only fly to London airports. We live on Merseyside so a flight to Manchester would be ideal, or indeed anywhere nearer home than London.

Can anyone offer any advice how to book a flight home to UK from Athens? She needs to book over the internet.

Thanks!!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

To my knowledge, only charter flights go directly to Manchester and (again, to my knowledge) you can't book them one way.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

Hi,

You can book one way with BA & Aegean airlines, but only to london airports. Check out internal flights to Manchester from Gatwick/Heathrow or Stansted tosee if any of these are ok. The alternative is to check all tour operators that fly into Athens as package hols & contact them, but if they do sell off seats they will only know what's available closer to the date of travel.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

I forgot, try the less obvious, You can book flights to Manchester through KLM, change at Amsterdam or Paris. You are looking at peak holiday season so nothing is going to be cheap to get to manchester, London may be the best option, then onward by train or a long pick up journey for you!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

Surely Olympic will issue one way tickets?

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

For example, they are currently offering one way tickets on the 25th August for €241.37 on their website.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

I have found one way tickets through Aer Lingus Brussels Airlines and British Airways.. Use www.kayak.com

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

zaksmum wants a one way ticket to Manchester. Only Olympic offer this.

The cheapest one way ticket to any other UK airport in the last week of August currently costs £140 and will only increase. All these airports are in the south east. Flying Olympic to Manchester is a no brainer.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

Yes, I search a one way ticket to manchester. I got results from those 3.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

Sorry - please don't think I was trying to start an argument. I know that you can do what you suggested but the alternatives brought up by Kayak involved changing in Brussels, Copenhagen or elsewhere and are more time consuming and often more expensive anyway.

Even the cheaper direct flights to London will be more expensive than the Manchester option when you've factored in train fares and maybe an overnight stop. Not to mention the extra time.

merseyside
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying back to UK from Athens.

Thanks all for the information.

My daughter has now booked her flight, best she could do was with Easyjet Athens to London, then a connecting flight London to Manchester. £100 for the Athens - London and £40 London - Manchester.

A lot of messing round but seemingly the only way to do the trip. It will take about 5 hours to london then waiting round a few hours for the brief flight to Manchester...probably about 8 hours in total.

When Liverpool played the Champions League final in Athens, Easyjet put special flights on for the game - maybe that's what made me think it was possible to fly into an airport closer to home.