We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omonia Square - is it safe?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Omonia Square - is it safe?

We're planning to stay at Athens for 2 nights late September. I heard the area near Omonia Square isn't exactly the best area. Is it safe for 2 people though?

We're planning to stay at Kaningos 21 Hotel.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

Although not far from Omonia sq, Kanningos 21 is on Kanningos sq at the beginning of Academias avenue and certainly not as dodgy as Omonia. It is close to the national archaeological museum and you will probably feel safe in that area since Academias is a wide, well illuminated avenue, that takes you to Syntagma sq. I would suggest just avoid the area on the lower side of Athenas avenue and around Agiou Konstantinou street at night, (both not to close to your hotel) and this just for you not to feel uncomfortable, there is no true danger, not more than in any other major city that is.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

Safe??What do you mean by safe?:)

Omonia is the WORLD'S most dangerous place!

First of all there are LIONS strolling around (& a few Indian tigers) secondly ALI BABA and the 40 thieves reside close by (in fact the reside 1,5 KILOMETERS away from Omonia on Kanigos 21 street! :)

Don't get tricked by the fact that EVERYBODY can walk ANYWHERE in Omonia at ANY time without EVER a SINGLE incident of mugging reported...:)

Seriously now...Omonia is 100% SAFE and NOTHING has ever happened to anybody there,it just doesn't look so posh and clean cut but more "real" and "human" and some people can't take it,it is still an extremely interesting area (day and night) and definitely don't avoid it (unless you are one of these people that visit NY and avoid Times Squre...:) )

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

Hello!

Although Omonia is safe and Kaniggos Square is also safe, I wouldn't stay there because it is not a very nice place.

Acadimias Street is probably the busiest avenue (or one of the busiest). It will be noisy, the traffic will go on 24/7 and the place is full of tall, grey buildings.

But, if safety is your only concern, then you'll be fine.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

Omonoia is safe but horribly unattractive due to a number of reasons.

In general our darkest pits in Greece are like kindergartens compared to what you can find in other countries, still Omonoia is not our best area.

Somebody can stay there but, imho, really better places do exist to start your Athens visit from.

Btw, comparison to Times Sq. does no justice at all to Times Sq.

Regarding Kaningos 21: It is not located directly on Omonoia Sq. but on Kaningos Sq. I would not consider its location a problem.

London
Level Contributor
392 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

I've just come back from Athens, and felt that it was one of the safest cities I have ever been in. I walked through Omonia Square going back to the Fresh Hotel on my own late at night, and didn't feel in the slightest bit anxious. At home in London, I wouldn't even go to my local shop on my own after dark. We talked to several local people, and it appears that street crime is almost non existant.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

Growlybear, wherabout do you live in London?

London
Level Contributor
392 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

Forest Hill, south London.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

If you intend to go to Syntagma sq from Kanningos 21 you might prefer to take Panepistimiou (also called Eleftheriou Venizelou) avenue instead of Akademias. You’ll have nicer views of Athens, although Akademias isn’t that bad either.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

I'm not familiar with this area. It's near Dulwich, right? I'm asking cause I come to London often and I'm always feeling pretty safe. But maybe it's the areas that I'm hanging.

London
Level Contributor
392 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Omonia Square - is it safe?

Yes, TH13, it borders Dulwich. But it is also very close to Peckham. I'm sure you're fairly safe in Dulwich Village, but I wouldn't ever feel happy walking alone at night anywhere else in this area.