We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if you had one night....

New York City
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
if you had one night....

We are staying at the Attalos Hotel, and unfortunately only have 1 night in Athens. Where would you choose to eat dinner? We like authentic, and cozy, maybe outdoor seating, reasonably priced...

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: if you had one night....

If I had one night...

...I would add at least another one.

You are coming form far, far away just to stay for one night and I know many people who did regret not staying longer!

You will have to tell us the time of the year and your budget, before we suggest a restaurant.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if you had one night....

I regret not staying more then 4 nights. But I will fix that with a WEEK in Athens in APRIL!!!!!! lol

New York City
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: if you had one night....

i know i know, one night is not enough, however, i cannot change around all my flights. We are doing 8 days in the Greek Islands, and 4 days in Prague, Athens is just a quick stop over between these two destinations. We are coming in mid september. Budget under say $120US for two people, including a bottle of wine.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: if you had one night....

It's sad that people choose to go to the islands and not Athens.

Anyway, I think this will suit your budget:

http://www.filistron.com/index-en.htm

New York City
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: if you had one night....

I had no idea this post would upset so many people. ITs not that we dont want to see Athens. We plan on coming back some day. We just had to make a choice for our honeymoon, and we wanted something a little more slow paced and relaxing than a city.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: if you had one night....

No one is upset. I just made one comment, I am sorry if it came out the wrong way.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: if you had one night....

It is sad!! What I hate hearing most is.. I have 7 hours in Athens on a cruise stopover.. oh just shoot me!!

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: if you had one night....

Hey, I'm with you. Some people like the countryside and the islands. Some people like the city. For a honeymoon I would take the islands anytime! We'll be in Greece next April and are planning roughly half our time in the islands and half our time on the Pelopponesse Peninsula, and only a quick 2-nights-one-full-day in Athens. I've been there before (for a week due to a scheduling error) and while the sights are fascinating, it is a big city which is not to everyone's liking. So enjoy your one night and if it whets your appetite you can always come back for more!!!! :)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: if you had one night....

Ah Prime, I know that Greece is full of beautiful islands (although people seem to think that Greece IS actually Mykonos and Santorini) but Athens is where democracy and civilization were born.

There are so many things to see here and yet most visitors treat it like a day trip.

Anyway, the good thing is that people like you and Snullr keep on mentioning how glad they were that they listened to us and stayed more. Who knows, maybe one day people will start spending in Athens as many days they spent in Santorini...

Mdmoon, I hope that you don't take this personally, as you are not the only person who is staying in Athens for such a short while.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: if you had one night....

I am so glad that I spent those days with Gas. He showed me parts of Kifisia, and different parts of athens that I am sure 90% of tourists dont see.

Athens may be a gigantor city.. But what amazes me is that you can be walking on the busiest street ever near syntagma.. and then 2 minutes later you will come across a little place to have lunch.. Where you can sit under a huge tree having Mezedes and wine. And you cant hear the traffic, and you are just alone. I think it would be very romantic. Like a small getaway in the city.

I also dont think that most people know that Athens is a coastal city. That you can see the Aegean from Philopapou hill.. Or that a short tram ride will bring you Paleo Faliro where you can walk along the boardwalk talking and laughing at the "whales"

I saw so many things in Athens.. I am so glad that I was able to see them, and experience the things that I did.