We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seaeagles
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Hi All.

We ARRIVE in ATHENS/ATHINAI ARPT,,GR at 1400 (2pm)

Will we have time to make it to Piraeus in time to catch the Ferry that Leaves at 1700 (5pm).

Would you know the best form of transport to take to get to Piraeus from the Airport the quickest and easiests.

Thanks so much for your help.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Hello!

Maybe you will, maybe you won't.

If all goes well (land on time, grab luggage on time, no queue for passport control/customs) you will exit the airport in 30 minutes. But only if it all goes well.

Either by bus, or by metro it will take you from 70 to 90 minutes to get to Piraeus.

Typically, you need to embark 1 hour prior to departure, but you can do it up to 30 minutes earlier.

Would I do it? No.

Would I suggest you do it? No, but it is up to you. If your plane delays 15 minutes and by the time you get to the bus station/metro station you realise that the next bus is in 20 minutes or the next metro in 25, there is a good chance not to make it.

You can get a taxi, but there is a chance of a big queue at the airport and of heavy traffic at that time of day.

Have you checked for departures from Rafina?

Bauska, Latvia
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Hi again!

If your plane arrives on time, in 2 hours you should be at Pireus. To avoid possible traffic jams, better take metro (ticket EUR 0,80). Dont know about your ferry, but Anek Lines allowed embarkation even 15-20 min before departure.

Check this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k2169…

Seaeagles
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Hi Thanks so much for the info, even though its probably not what I wanted to hear lol. I just had a look at RAFINA then but it does not offer ferry's to IOS. Rather it just goes to ANDROS, MYKONOS, NAXOZ, PAROS, SYROS AND TINOS.

I tried searching if there are any connections from these islands to IOS but unfortunatley there is not.

Our only other option is on what appears to be an extremely slow ferry the RODANTHI which leaves at 8pm and arrives at 5:50am.

We will probably still take a chance at getting on the original ferry at 5pm, and if we do not make it we will just have to work something out.

Originally when we booked our flight from Rome to Athens we did not take into account the ferrys. I guess you learn from your mistakes lol.

Thanks again

and if you have any other ideas I am all ears!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Ideas......... (deep sigh)

Rodanthi is not an option, IMO. LOL!

Two questions:

When are you coming and with which airline?

Seaeagles
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

We fly in on August 29th, flying Air One Aegean Airlines.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Good thing it's not Alitalia! This makes things better!

Ok, taxi is not an option. It will be the last weekend of August and Piraeus will be chaotic.

As soon as you reach arrivals and claim your luggage check the screens to see when is the next bus and the next train.

It will take you 5 minutes to reach the bus stop and 15 to reach the platforms.

If the next train is in 10 minutes DON'T take the metro. You will miss this one and then you will wait 30 minutes for the next one!

If it doesn't go well, you will have the option of Romilda, but since it is a very slow, very dirty and not known for it's punctuality ferry you must try your best to get in the 5 o' clock one!

Seaeagles
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Hey thanks so much for all your help. That sounds like a plan picking the first train or bus.

With the train, do we still have to hop off at Monastiraki or is it direct to Piraeus?

Also I tried to have a look for what number bus to take to Piraeus, do you know?

Also would you suggest we pre book our tickets and pick them up from the office at Piraeus or would we be better off just buying the Ferry tickets once we reach Piraeus?

Thanks again for all your help.

If you come to the Gold Coast, Australia I will be sure to help you out with all your questions haha

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Definitely pre-book! As I said it is the last weekend of August, hence the last chance for many to take a short break!

You could collect your tix from the airport, but I'm thinking that this could take some (precious) time, so picking them up from Piraeus is probably the best option.

I tell you what. Let me know with which ferry you will be departing, and I will call tomorrow and ask where exactly it docks and how far is it from the ticket booth. Then I will be able to tell you for sure what is best to do. Sounds good?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Ooops! I forgot!

Yes, you will need to alight at Monastiraki and take the Green Line to Piraeus (you will ride the Blue on from the airport).

The bus you are looking for is X96.

Metro tix cost 6 euros each, or 10 if there's two of you.

Bus tix cost 3,20 euros.

Hopefully you are planning to spend a few days in Athens?

Seaeagles
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: time it takes from Airport to Piraeus.

Oh that would be awesome if you could do that for me. The ferry's name is the FLYING CAT 3.

I am looking to book with Kabayannis Travel tonight.

The Address we can pick the tickets up from is: Akti Posidonos 38, Piraeus, ZIP CODE 185 31, Greece

Tel.: +30 210 4121219

Oh we are def staying in Athens for a few nights after Ios!!!

:)Thanks so much again