We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

Michigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

Does anyone have a recommendation for either of these hotels? We are looking for something a bit different but still under 60 Euro

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

Hello!

To my knowledge there is no Acropolis Hotel. Could it be Acropolis Select or Acropolis View?

If it is Acropolis View, go for it. I wouldn't recommend Acropolis Select.

I wouldn't recommend Cecil either, because it is located in a not so beautiful part of the city.

You don't mention if the 60 euros are for a single or a twin and for when. Also, what do you mean by "different"?

Michigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

Ah, it is the Acropolis House. Looking for a twin, I guess that's 2 people? We call it a double over here in the states.

I'm not sure what I mean by differnt either, just not run of the mill but I'm finding out that you don't have run of the mill over there so we are good on that.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

A twin is a twin over here in the States - it means two beds - a double means only one bed.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

I can't say much on Acropolis House. You might find it a bit difficult to navigate in this area, but it is much better located than Cecil.

I am not familiar with the "run over the mill" expression.

A very nice, well located and cheap hotel is Art Gallery Hotel (http://www.artgalleryhotel.gr/).

A double room is a twin with a double bed.

Michigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

I am confused now. I want one room with two single beds, so what do I ask for? A twin or a double or a twin with 2 beds? Yikes I didn't know what I didn't know.

The Art Gallery is too high priced (for us) at this time of year, going to be there Sept 12-15

I guess I'm also confused aobut what area to stay in, or away from. Is south of the acropolis better than east of it? what about north off Ermou st?

i should have used a travel agency, sigh...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

DeeDee

No need for a travel agent go to www.booking.com

No fee and there will be a wide range of choice.

Unlike USA, European hotels charge by the person.

The website will also tell you the type of bedding.

Most of the time 2 single beds are pushed together to make one bed and you wind up sleeping on a single

sort of like a cabin on a cruise ship.

I stayed at the Amazon which was inexpensive and in a great area. It had 2 singles.

Gbow

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

Not every hotel charges by the person. Some do, but my experience has been that I've usually been charged by the room.

A double room in Greece basically refers to a room for two people, which usually means one double bed, BUT you can request two single beds. This is what I request and I've never had a problem with this in any hotel anywhere in Greece. Just request it when making your reservation or contact the hotel ahead of time and it should be no problem.

Michigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

Thanks I appreciate the clarification

Well, I'm counting down, leaving USA in 44 hrs

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

Good luck Dee Dee, on getting a double room with 2 single beds for 60 Euros in a good/convenient area of Athens in early September!! Most rooms in Plaka District are 90 and up at that time. After all, this is not Grand Rapids, it's a national capital, and it's not 1990.

There's a backpacker type place on Koudrou Street called Kouros that might have a room for 50-60.

And a travel agent would not help -- they don't handle hotels at that lower level.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Acropolis Hotel or Hotel Cecil?

If you can get a room at Acropolis House for 60 GRAB IT. Your bathroom will be private but across the hall from your room. It's a cranky old hotel but a good location on Koudrou.