We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks again for all the helpful advice from everyone on this forum. To express just a small amount of my appreciation I wanted to write a short trip report. My husband and I just returned from a 16 day trip to Greece where we visited Athens, Naxos, Santorini, Nafplion, and Delphi. I'll try to post on each stop in their respective forum but I might get lazy by Delphi. Anyway, Athens...

We finally arrived after a long, transatlantic flight with a near missed connection and near lost luggage. I was so tired I fell asleep on the metro despite my best efforts not to,but the minute we stepped out of the metro stop and I saw my first glimpse of the acropolis all the exhaustion disappeared. It was such an amazing feeling seeing the acropolis for the first time. We stayed at Hotel Tempi which I thought was a good budget option. Very good location, clean, and we had a balcony with a view of the acropolis. We wandered the city for a bit before stopping for a frappe an an outdoor cafe that overlooked the ancient agora. I don't think there was a better spot to enjoy my first frappe. After wandering a while longer we had a late dinner at Mamacas(which was very good) and called it a night. The next day we toured the acropolis with Walking Tours of Athens. I thought it was a great tour and a great experience to get the history of the city from a local's perspective. After touring the sites we tried some souvlaki. It was awesome and is now my husband's new obsession. Later that night we hit Filistron's for dinner which lived up to its reptutation. It was great and so relaxing.

Our last day in Athens we saw the NAM, national garderns, and a couple other sites but mainly focused on just wandering the city a bit more since this is usually our favorite part. All in all we really enjoyed Athens but I think the next time we visit we'll be able to just enjoy the city more since we won't feel as pressured to pack in the sight.

The next day, we took an early morning ferry to Naxos which was probably our favorite stop of the trip although I have a hard time deciding between Naxos and Nafplion. I'll post separately for these stops but would just like to say a big thank you to anyone who helped me pick between Naxos and Sifnos when I posted because I loved Naxos so much.

In between Naxos and Nafplion we stopped at Santorini. It is true that Santorini is so beautiful that the photos don't do it justice. It was amazing.

Then on to Nafplion. Like I said above this is definately one of my favorite stops despite problems with our hotel. The town is so beautiful and charming that it's hard not to love it.

Our last stop was Delphi. The site was amazing but it was very hot and the town was less lively than our other stops. Still it was very nice sitting on the balcony overlooking the mountains.

Overall I loved our trip and I don't think I would have changed anything. At the time I wished we had scrapped Delphi and stayed the extra days in Nafplion but we'll just have to come back again. Also I found driving a bit more intimidating than I thought but mainly just on the drive from Nafplion to Delphi.

Thank you again for all your helpful tips and kind, patient advice. Your country is so beautiful, your food is so amazing, and your attitude towards life is so laid back. I'm in love with Greece.

Thanks again,

Lods

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report

LODS..what a great trip. the "reward for the board" are reports and feedback like yours. Glad you had fun!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
833 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report

Thanks LODS

We also have decided on Naxos for our trip next year,it's wonderful to read you enjoyed it so much.

Where did you stay? Do you have any special finds or recommendations?

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report

Thanks for the report LODS- sounds like you had a great time. Naxos is wonderful isn't it? I want to see all of Greece, but we keep stumbling back to Naxos.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report

Glad you had such a great trip, LODS. Subtract Santorini and you pretty much have our trip in May. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,700 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report

Thank you for the report and the compliments :)

I am happy you had a great time; Cheers!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report

thanks for the great report, i have two nights in athens at the beginning of my trip and one at the end, I'm unsure if it is going to be enough?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
531 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report

Thanks for the report LODS. Looking forward to a Dinner at Filstron ourselves in October.

LadyDar

PS Thanks also regarding the drive. Will get out my bareknuckle gloves for driving the pelloponese.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report

I really enjoy your report..Great!!

Wish you a much better returning: )

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report

LODS -- thanks so much for your feedback so far... looking forward to the rest of it. This is the kind of report that is SO helpful to newcomers & Greece-vets alike. My only trepidation is your mention of problems with your Nafplio hotel -- hope not with any place I recommended. But do give details.

Anyway, I have a satisfied smile because you liked the places I'm fond of... AND appreciated Athens. You are right, follow-up visits there are so rewarding because you're freer just to wander and have "serendipities".

I noticed you said "the next time we visit" --- YES!! You have been infected with "grecophiia." You will be happy to know, there is no cure. Surrender Dorothy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report

Thanks for your trip report!! It is so true, photos just do not do santorini justice!! If takes your breath away, gives you goosebumps all over.. My first view of the Caldera from my balcony made me cry..

I am glad you got to see the mainland! When you return, you must write another report!!