We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report Back from First trip to Greece

Sydney
Level Contributor
250 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Report Back from First trip to Greece

Let me start by saying we had an amazing time. Was suprised at how hot it was but being an Australian really enjoyed as we left a cold & wet Sydney behind.

First up thanks nick_arch, we looked so 'local' on arrival your advise for the transfer to the city by bus were great as were yr directions to the Niki Hotel. Would recommend the Niki. The room was small and you had to go outside to change your mind the bathroom was so small but the place was spotlessly clean, quite and the location is absolutely perfect. I would stay there again but request a room at the front as the rooms at the back have a view of a nice wall. Free internet was a nice touch.

Spent 3 days in Athens and found the city easy to walk around and being careful not too expensive. A Chat tour took us around the country and I was really amazed at Delphi and being a sports freak Olympia could have spent some more time in Meteora. Would recommend taking a tour and thats from someone who rarely does. Santorini what a gem. We we told to get the best view of the sunset to go to Oia. I think we got the best view sitting on our balconey with our own drinks and nibbles. Hotel Astir Thira big recommendation. Pay the extra for a room at the front. A 2 min walk from Fira. Everything you could want in a hotel in Santorini without the steep steps.

Taking a shower and watching the moon rise after watching the sunset before heading out to eat some really good greek food at some local tarven was great. For the record we were able to thru check our bags from Santorini all the way to HongKong travelling on Olympic then Air France. We did not have to collect and re check anywhere. Got to say I was impressed with Athens airport. Sad the trip is over but now we plan the next - question back to Africa and the Mara or Croatia. Thanks to all who answered our questions it was much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Niki Hotel
Niki Hotel
112 Reviews
Piraeus, Greece
Niki Athens Hotel
Niki Athens Hotel
314 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Olympia
Olympia
Elis Region, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
France
France
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

Thanks for your report...sounds like you had a wonderful time and your recommendations will positively help future fellow travelers.

I very much suspect that in the future you will be back to Greece, there is so much to see and the Islands are so different. You have barely scraped the surface!!! Of course I would heartily recommend Crete!!!

With regard to your next trip.......Croatia is somewhere that I would love to go to myself. I have a Croatian friend and he has fired my enthusiasm with stories of the wonderful architecture in some of the towns and cities, the many off shore Islands and Italian inspired food ( with a twist.)He recommends spending some time living on a boat to explore the north coast.

Thanks again and good luck with future adventures. :O)

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Crete
Crete
Greece
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

Hi there

Always great to read about more Greek "converts" here after a successful trip. You'll never be able to resist going back after this you know.....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

Definetely..you may not realize it now, fresh from the trip..but give it a while..Soon the images will stir you back:-)) I've a friend getting married next Oct (09) in Croatia so will definetely be heading over myself..always wanted to go but never seemed to be able to get out of GREECE..lol!! Very glad you enjoyed!!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

Hi AussieTouring....Thanks for the report..Glad you enjoyed!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

I am very happy you enjoyed your trip :)

These directions really worked :))

Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

Thanks for the report, AussiesTouring. I didn't make it to Olympia, and even as a non-sports freak, envy your time their.

Mentioned in this post
Olympia
Olympia
Elis Region, Greece
Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

Sounds like you had a fun, full few days!

Susan, you don't have to be a sports freak, just to appreciate the meaning of that place!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,747 posts
1,764 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

Hi Aussie/T,

I enjoyed reading your trip report it brought back many memories especially our lovely stay at Santorini Princess. We also loved Oia and Fira too.

Thanks for sharing.

EM.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini Princess
Santorini Princess
968 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

Oh, I know, Thalia. (I'm a history nut; I figure that makes up for my deficit in sports.) I really struggled to find a way to add Olympia to our itinerary and keep the relaxed pace my husband wanted. Next time!

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Olympia
Olympia
Elis Region, Greece
10. Re: Report Back from First trip to Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 16:15