We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Beautiful Country

hartford, ct
Level Contributor
109 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
A Beautiful Country

Good Afternoon,

I just wanted to take a minute to write about the wonderful time I had in Greece this month. I arrived in Athens during the subway strike but no matter because of the great hospitality of the Greek people. I took the X 95 bus to Syntagma and when I asked for directions one gentleman was kind enough to telephone the hotel and get directions for me on the spot. The staff at the Phillipos Hotel on Mitseon Street was very helpful and hooked me up with all the tours and directions I needed. I highly recommend using Chat Tours to go and see Delphi. You will learn much more about Greek history than you would expect. The people were so welcoming that I was invited out for drinks on two separate occasions. Quite an offer for a stranger from the other side of the world. If you look you can find a lot of places in the Plaka that will offer you a meal for under 10 Euros and Alpha was my favorite for the variety and taste of their food. The raki is excellent too. I also cannot say enough about the beauty of the Greek countryside both heading up to Delphi in the mountains where there are bushes with brilliant orange berries lining the sides of the roads and the lovely seacoast on the ride to see the Lion's Gate. There were beautiful olive and orange trees everywhere. It was particularly spectacular when a storm was coming in and the olive trees looked like huge green feather dusters being shaken in the wind. I can't wait to go back to see the Greek islands and I'll never forget my friends in Greece.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Beautiful Country

What a lovely report majik48:-) Thanks for the great read and share! Keep enjoyin'!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Beautiful Country

Yes thanks so much Majik ... in a few words you captured the essence -- the beauty of the countryside (I LOOOVE your feather-duster image! and the ancient sites, the warmth and welcome of Greek people in general. That's what it's all about. ). We know you'll be back again, next time to see some islands, and we'll do our bit to steer you to some special places. Yiassas!

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Beautiful Country

Thanks for your wonderful report. Lovely descriptions- glad you had a great time!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
833 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Beautiful Country

Thankyou for the wonderful report . Since ancient times the Greek people have held the treatment of strangers and the offers of hospitality to be a sacred duty. I agree they are wonderful hosts and their treatment of travellers to their country is without equal.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Beautiful Country

Hi there

A lovely trip report - sounds like you've been bitten by the "Greek bug"...:0)...you'll have to keep going back now you know....

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Beautiful Country

majik, thank you for a beautifully evocative trip report. Reading it has brightened up a very rainy Sunday morning!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Beautiful Country

It's a very dreary, rainy morning here too! Thank you- your report has taken me back to a place that I love and look forward to visiting (with great anticipation) again in summer '09.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,774 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Beautiful Country

So lovely to read such a positive. enthusiastic & encouraging post. Your attitude to the subway strike is a really good example of turning adversity to advantage & emerging as winner! Thank you!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Beautiful Country

Great report. I love your description of the olive trees as feather dusters shaking in the wind.

Susan

10. Re: A Beautiful Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 14:29