We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels Near Omonia Square

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels Near Omonia Square

Hey ya all!

So I'm planning a long weekend trip to Athens with a friend in May.

Got a great deal on flight and now been browsing through the affordable and yet not so dodgy looking hotels.

Came across Hotel Aristoteles in Aharnon street. Now am wondering if this is such a good idea, since we have to navigate from airport to our hotel during the night (and when leaving as well) due to the flight schedule. After reading the threads and reviews I started wondering if you could tell me what makes the Omonia square area so dodgy and what would be the alternatives on the same price rate in other areas (if any?) where you don't have to feel unsafe while walking on the streets during the night.

Cheers!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

Hello and welcome to the Greek forums.

Omonia is not as unsafe as it is ugly and unconvinient. The area of the hotel above is even uglier and more unconvinient.

Try the following and let us know how it goes:

Amazon (www.AmazonHotelAthens.com) (ask for room 216, for fantastic view to Acropolis)

Achilleas (http://www.achilleashotel.gr/)

Niki (http://www.nikihotel.gr/)

Byron (http://www.hotel-byron.gr/)

Art Gallery Hotel (http://www.artgalleryhotel.gr/)

Nephelokkokygia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

I agree with the above -- the area around Omonia is fairly unattractive -- noisy traffic, nondescript modern buildings, nothing old or charming, etc., though the really "bad" (drugs, prostitution, street crime) part of Omonia from what I've heard is south of the square, esp. around where Sophocleous meets Pireos. I should add that most of central Athens I've always found fairly safe by big city standards.

Plaka hotels would be a better bet, though they are often fully booked. Alternatively you could try one of the many hotels immediately next to Plaka along Apollonos and the adjoining streets -- not as atmospheric a neighborhood, rather non-descript, but not "bad" and basically just across the street from Plaka.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

Hi....the area of this hotel is consider as the bad areas of Omonoia..altohugh there are some areas on Athinas street consider as intresting for a visitor,Like Athinas street where is the Central Market and Kotzia sqaure where the Mayor's hall situated...Hotels Thalia introduce are quiet good and if you can aoofrd them go forward..otherwise if you want cheaper choice closer to Aristoteles hotel i would recoemnd also

www.economyhotel.gr

http://www.travelling.gr/tempihotel/

Tempi is more like a hostel but its location is fab....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

want cheaper choice closer to Aristoteles hotel...I mean closer to the prices not the location; )

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

I stayed at the Amazon last May

and was pleased with the hotel,

the location and the service.

And Thalia is right about room 216.. I was lucky enough to get it

and the view was amazing.

Rob

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

I copied your advice Rob! Hope you don't mind! :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

Hi Thalia,

Mind? I'm flattered! ;^)

If you look on the Amazon site on the accomodation

page the pic on the right is of room 216...

amazonhotelathens.com/Amazon_Hotel_Accommoda…

Rob

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

Thank you Rob, it looks great!

Amazon might look "ugly" from the outside but it's a very good hotel and the location is unbeatable. And the rates are not bad at all!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

Hi

I stayed at the Amazon and while the location is great I thought the hotel was just OK. Nothing special and some of the most sour pussed clerks at the front desk that I encounted anywhere. Also the only thing housekeeping did for 4 nights was give me fresh towels. On my next trip to Athens I will look elsewhere.

Not a fan of the Amazon

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels Near Omonia Square

Hi Gbow!

Yes, Athens has certainly better hotels but Amazon sometimes offers very good rates.

I wouldn't recommend it if someone could afford the Cypria or the Hermes but if the budget is tight it's certainly better than the Attalos!