We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

Or would you recommend walking between the two attractions, to see the side streets of Athens, etc, for photos.....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

I recomend walk....if you exit from Acropolis at Dionisiou Aeropagitou side...on the side to Dionisos theatre and New Acropolis Museum..on the way they are 2 other magor Athens attractions, Olympian Zeus columns and Panathinaikon stadium....you continue to Irodou Attikou where the Presidential house is..you watch the presidential guards on the way...and you continue straight to Kolonaki area and Lycabetous....otherwise take the Metro from Acropolis station stop at Syntagma, chaneg to blue line to Plankentias-Aiport and stop at the following station Evangelismos....the closer to Lycabetous hill....

remember!!!!HAVE A MAP!!!

Athens
Level Contributor
567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

i will agree that it is a good idea to have a map. Even though i am greek and i live in athens i usually get lost and can not find the funicular going up the hill

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

Hi gas

Erik and I took a taxi to Lycavettos but the driver didn't understand where we wanted to go, so I think we saw every sight in Athens from the taxi before we finally arrived at the funicular. It's a vert steep walk up there by the look of it, or at least, judging by some of the hills the taxi went up.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

It's a VERY steep walk up to the funicular- if you aren't in good shape I would suggest taking a taxi to it. We're in pretty good shape and had to stop on the way up.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

Any excuse for a beer, eh Mitsa??

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

Hi GBfromDevizes!!

Depends..it is an easy way...when you can go thought Kolonaki there....and just face in fornt of you the funicular..going by taxi takes you a circle on the clifs of Lycabetous..well you have to be in good shape of corse..but from Kolonaki side to funicular is actually the same difficulty as walkign up to the Acropolis..well i think fineshot2000 it would be better to go to Lycabetous an other day fiy ou dont have to do everything in one day.....

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

Of course!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

If you are not like Gas (walk fast and NEVER get tired) then don't walk!

I'd recommend to take the metro from Acropolis, get off at Panepistimio, walk to the bus stop of Akadimias Street (near the corner with Ippokratous Street) and take bus no060. Get off at the 4th Lycabettus stop (which will be on th corner of Kleomenous and Ploutarchou Street) and walk uphill on Ploutarchou Street.

The funicular is on the corner of Ploutarchou and Aristippou Street.

GET A MAP!!! (that way you'll see how far it is)

Nephelokkokygia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

The problem with this walk (which I have made MANY times) is that almost always (except late and night and maybe on a Sunday) all the major and many of the minor streets you have to walk through, including the small streets on the lower slopes of Kolonaki, are hideously jammed with traffic. (What traffic has done to the once lovely neighborhood of Kolonaki especially is, or ought to, a crime.)

I know some people aren't bothered by walking along a virtual freeway, but it really gives others (like me) the creeps.

You can avoid a lot of the traffic horror by walking from the Acropolis to the Temple of Zeus and then through the National Garden to Parliament. Avoid the streets bordering Plateia Syntagma like the plague. Afterwards, when you get to the particularly hideously traffic-choked Sofias, crossing which even with the walk light is a hair-raising experience, go down to where the Metro tunnel to cross (forget the cross street but just walk east along the south side of Sofias and you'll find it.) When you emerge from the tunnel you'll be in Kolonaki. I'd say having done it many times that the walk up to the funicular shouldn't be a problem for anyone who is in good basic health and hasn't made a lifestyle out of being a couch potato, and you can keep turning around to look at a series of splendid views.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus/trolley directly between Acropolis and Mt Lycabettus?

Ok ..im not the super man......some people love to walk..some other not..i think if fineshot2000 doesnt include all in one day...can do it...: )