We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

Will only have time to do one tour during my 3 days in Athens. I see the Delphi tour is a bit longer, but you see more outside the city. Which should I choose?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

What are you interested in ?

Delphi was considered the core of the earth by the Ancient Greeks.

Sounion is the site of the temple of Poseidon,

and the landmark of the naming of the Aegean Sea, -King Aegeus leapt to his death here,

Lord Byron has marked it in stone with his engravings - very romantic the sunset, only a half day tour.

However, I would choose Delphi for its sheer importance,

Athens
Level Contributor
565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

i would definitely suggest Delphi.

Illinois
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

I believe Delphi is better. It will require the better part of a day and is more or a tour. Sounion can be reached in an hour or so and you could spend an hour there and be fine. Maybe you could work it in to the end of one of your other days. It is beautiful but if forced to pick take Delphi.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

It would entirely depend on what interests you. If you are really into history and ruins, then obviously it would be Delphi. If you just want to look at a temple etc then it's Sounion. The trip out to Delphi is long and you really have to want to see the site to make the trip. However, if you have seen the Parthenon and other places such as the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and feel 'ruined and templed out' then see Sounion. It's a pleasant trip with coastal views and a couple of places to eat down below on the beach. I wouldn't class the scenery between Athens and Delphi as to any different that the scenery around Athens itself. If you have a car there are a lot of interesting villages between Athens and Delphi, but they lie south of the main 'turnpike' between the two cities and along the Gulf of Corinth.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

Sounion is worth an early morning, or a nice sunset, as the temple and vista is "classic" Greek..(it was what we saw most in GNTO ads in the USA in the 1980's).

Delphi is a major classical site in a spectacular setting. Some people burn out quickly on ruins..I love them, and hope that TravelerJan gives you some input on the one day tour to Nafplion, Mycenae, Epidarus, which is another popular one day run out of Athens...have fun planning

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

Fabulous advise..and strictly a personnal call:-) Delphi does take full day with 5+ hours on a bus just coming/going..if you're into the History, then this certainly is a go! Sounion, as stated, can easily be done in an afternoon and has the advantage of the splendid Sea views! Enjoy!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
531 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

Fineshot 2000:

I vote for the Delphi tour only because it is amazing a:, b: has the best visually understood and self guided exibit we saw in our three week trip to Greece in October., and c: Having a bus to drive you there a plus although generally not a 'bus' tour type of person.

The crowds wil be formidible- just try to zone out and put yourself in a special space. Delphi is that place!

(but also agree with Johnnie Naplion very tempting if you can really get all 3 sites in on one day-Mycenae amazing as well- just get goose bumps talking about this stuff!).

LadyDar

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

Delphi it is, if I can wiggle it in my brief Athens itinerary, which may not be possible.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

Thank you fineshot.....Your advices were valuable...

10. Re: Delphi vs. Sounion Tour, which to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 03:16