We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel????

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel????

We are having a hard time deciding on a hotel in Athens. Right now it's between the Art Gallery Hotel, Acropolis Museum Hotel and the Airotel. Any advice?

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel????

Hey Mitsa!!! My Florida cousins swear by the Airotel,

this past October, we tried to see a room at the Acropolis Museum Hotel, but they were full..nice spot from what we could tell...I have my location favorites though, Cypria, Hermes, Central, Amazon, Achilleas, and of course, if traveling with Litsa,

The Grand Bretagne! LOL! have fun!

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel????

Thanks Johnnie, but if we stayed at the GB we wouldn't be able to afford the rest of our trip!!! LOL!!! It's a tough choice...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel????

Hey Mitsa:-) The only one I 'somewhat' know (from walking past in many times) on your list is the Art Gallery.. I have a friend that lives around the corner from the place and I just love the neighborhood (Koukaki)..as close as you can get to Akropolis and yet a wonderful residential area with families/locals..The pedestrian drag called 'Dragou' around the corner from the Art Gallery is literally filled with with cafes/tavernas/restaurants, etc..loaded with locals and yet within a 5-10 minute walk, you're at the Akropolis metro station! Nonetheless, for 'convenience' sake, definetely agree with dear Johnnie here..I stopped by the Cypria (have also passed this one loads of times) one morning when he was having breakfast and I joined him for coffee..you can't beat the location and you're in the middle of it all here! As for the GB, bless those Amex starwood starpoints..my saving grace..lol! I think you'd like both but for convenience and a limited time, you can't beat the Cypria and it's location! You are SO goin' to ENJOY!!!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel????

The only one I've stayed at is Airotel Parthenon, so I can't comment on the others, apart from location.

Just be warned though, we are staying there again from 1-4 June & GB from 31st May-4th June! Maybe that would put people off!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel????

Oh, & on Johnnie's list we have stayed at Hermes, that was good too!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel????

Good morning all!

I too would suggest something more central. If you do stay in the area though, I vote for the Airotel with only purpose to read your joint book "How to drive a receptionist crazy"!!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel????

I think AIrotel and Art gallery can be the finalists...knowing you in person....i would say for S & J Art Gallery can be perfect.....but the location of Parthenon Airotel..is just the best....

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel????

Thanks for the input everyone. Now it's down to two. Do you think that the Airotel could handle so many TAers? Maybe we should just flip a coin.

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
677 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel????

I stayed at the Art Gallery hotel last May for 4 nights. It was originally a private home and is a narrow, 4 or 5 story building,has a tiny 4 person elevator and the front desk staff are very helpful-one being a Canadian lady so easy communication for North Americans. The buffet breakfast is included and wonderful with many choices-it is on the 4th floor and you can eat out on the large shaded balcony. Our large room for 2 had 2 double beds and a very nice bathroom, fridge, armchairs and a balcony-excellent sound-proofing as we never heard a sound from inside the room. Nice art work throughout the hotel done by the original owner. We thought the street might be noisy in the night but it turned out to be surprisingly quiet.Many restaurants on the street, including a small great & cheap gyro place,bakery,small market, newstands,dollar store, bookstore, upscale cafe, flower shop, and many others-a great neighbourhood and we walked to the Acropolis, the national gardens, Syntagma square and just walked and looked and listened. The last night we left by taxi to Syntagma to take the 3:30 am bus to the airport-the hotel let us stay in the room for half price until it was time to leave. Only have very good things to say about the hotel-other than that some may find it a fair walk to the places around Snytagma square but wslking in Athens is fascinating and free.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel????

We just booked our June stay at the Cypria, due to the helpful recommendations of the forum regulars (thanks, GB and LadyDar) and our desire to be closer to "museum row" (Benaki, etc). Our two finalists were the Cypria and the Airotel Parthenon, but just decided to try the Syntagma location this time. (I hope yiassas forgives me after all of her helpful Airotel advice.) Of course, we also look forward to visiting the New Acropolis Museum, which is really close to the Airotel.

Only four months to wait!