We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Hello all!

The Athens Metro Company has just announced the closure of the Metro Blue Line from Ethniki Amyna station to the Athens Airport. The line will be closed from the 14th of February till the 15th of August due to the construction of new stations.

Below, you will find all alternatives. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask us!

To Syntagma: Take Bus E95 to the Othonos Street terminal. Approx journey time 40-55 minutes, tickets cost 3,20 euros. Buses depart every 10-25 minutes, depending on the time of day.

Or, take Bus E94 or E95 to Ethniki Amyna, alight and take Metro Blue Line. Approx total journey time 55-70 minutes, tickets cost 1 euro (for the metro ride) and 3,20 euros (for the bus ride). Buses depart every 5-25 minutes, depending on the time of day.

To Ethniki Amyna: Take Bus E94 or E95. Approx journey time 30-45 minutes. Tickets cost 3,20 euros. Buses depart every 5-25 minutes, depending on the time of day.

Or, take the Suburban Railway to Doukissis Plakentias Metro Station, alight and take Bus E5 or E6. Approx total journey time 60-70 minutes, tickets cost 1 euro for the bus ride and 6 euros for the Suburban Railway. Suburban departs every 15 minutes from 06.23 till 00.23. Buses depart every 5-15 minutes depending on the time of day.

To Halandri: Take the Suburban Railway to Doukissis Plakentias Metro Station, alight and take Bus E5. Approx total journey time 40-50 minutes, tickets cost 1 euro for the bus ride and 6 euros for the Suburban Railway. Suburban departs every 15 minutes from 06.23 till 00.23. Buses depart every 10-20 minutes depending on the time of day.

To Piraeus: Take Bus E96. Approx journey time 60-90 minutes, tickets cost 3,20 euros. Buses depart every 10-30 minutes, depending on time of day.

Or, take the Suburban Railway to Neratziotissa, alight and take the Metro Green line to Piraeus. Approx total journey time 65-75 minutes, tickets cost 1 euro for the metro ride and 6 euros for the Suburban Railway. Suburban departs every 15 minutes from 06.30 till 00.30. Metro trains depart every 5-15 minutes, depending on time of day.

To Omonia: Take the Suburban Railway to Neratziotissa, alight and take the Metro Green line to Omonia. Approx total journey time 50-60 minutes, tickets cost 1 euro for the metro ride and 6 euros for the Suburban Railway. Suburban departs every 15 minutes from 06.30 till 00.30. Metro trains depart every 5-15 minutes, depending on time of day.

If you wish to get from these places to the Airport, just reverse the journeys.

Please note that the journey time is only estimated. If you choose a combination which includes buses, please allow extra time in case of traffic.

Buses E92 (Airport – Kifissia), E93 (Airport – Kiffissos Bus Terminal) and E97 (Airport – Dafni Metro Station) run normally.

Hope this helps!

Thalia

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Thalia, thank you so much for this very comprehensive posting. I guess we will try the bus to Syntagma Square from the airport in June. I'll be the one walking from the bus stop to the Cypria dragging too much luggage!

What do you wonderful Athens DE's think is the best way to go to Piraeus cruise port on a Friday afternoon in early June from the Cypria?

Happy Valentine's Day to my friends on the Athens forum!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Hi Pam! Depending on which port. If it's Zea, definitely take a taxi. If it's Piraeus, then take the metro blue line from Syntagma, alight at Monastiraki and take the green line to Piraeus. Then, depending on where your ship is docked, you can either walk, take a taxi, or take the mini bus whcih goes from one side of the port to the other.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Thalia....are your fingers tired??? Thanks for the comprehensive post. We'll be taking the bus, too, to Syntagma in July. Will you be waiting there at the stop with cold drinks in hand? ;-))))))))

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Thanks, Thalia. It's definitely at the main port, probably 20 minutes walk from the Piraeus metro stop, halfway around the harbor.

Are taxis easily obtained in Piraeus from the metro to the cruise ship dock? Are there escalators or elevators at all three (the Syntagma, Monastiraki and Piraeus metro stops) or will I have to be dragging the luggage up and down stairs? (I seem to remember escalators at both Piraeus and Monasitraki??)

I assume the taxi traffic would be horrendous and that's why I am best off with the metro?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Thank you, Mary! Hopefully, this will be a sticky soon for everybody to be informed! I will certainly meet you, have no doubts!

Pam, all stations have both escalators and elevators. As soon as you know from which gate will the ship depart, Gas will give you the best advice about how to get there. He knows the port very well!

I wouldn't say that the traffic in Athens is bad but sometimes the port could be chaos, especially on Fridays and Sundays during the Summer.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Thank you Thal{itsa} !! Happy Valentine's day !!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

You are very welcome!

Happy all-you-can-eat chocolate day! :-)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Now Thalaki...I know you will meet us, but will you have cold drinks in hand???? ;-)))) You know how hot it is in July!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

I will! :-)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Metro Closure, starting February 14th.

Thank you again, Thalia.