We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

Hi--based upon the helpful advice from posters, we are reserved for 2 nights the end of May at Athens Gate hotel. Now, would like to flesh out an itineary for our short stay. This is hubbie and my first stay in Athens. He hates big cities, so this short stay was a compromise on our way to Northern Greece. Given that we will be arriving to the airport about 6 pm, are thinking of having dinner at the hotel or at least nearby. Thoughts?

We will likely be jetlagged so plan to get early to bed. Given that we are early risers, what are your suggestions as to what to do for our one full day in Athens? With the various strikes (e.g, Acropolis), we understand that we will have to be flexible, but, would be nice to have a tentative schedule (with some backup plans).

Thanks!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

i should have mentioned that we are considering the walking tour of Acropolis (previously recommended on forum). With the cost of the museum pass it adds up to 92 euros for the 2 of us--is this worth it? It starts at 9:30 am. Or, should we try to see the Acropolis on our own? Is there something we can do early in the am (we will likely be up early). Thanks!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

Hi there

Wow - 92 euros to see the Acropolis with a guide?? Forget it, but a guide book and do it yourself for a fraction of the price. The Acropolis opens at 8am so be there before this if you can and be one of the first in the queue.

The best value for a flying one day trip around the city is to buy the 12 euro ticket which allows you entry to, and can be bought at all these sites.

Acropolis

Temple of Zeus

Hadrian's Library

Karameikos

Ancient Agora

Roman Agora

Theatre of Dionysos

You will have to get a move on to see all these but it's the cheapest way to get a good "fix" of the city in such a short time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

Welcome lacontessa1:-) ...and to add to GB's wonderful list here..do try and get in at least 1 Museum..The Nat'l Archaeological Museum is absolutely spectacular and could easily use up an entire afternoon..Or the Benaki off Syntagma Square which is more 'compact' and just as incredible.. you may even be able to walk the few blocks over to the Cycladic Museum..also worth a visit! Check out their gift shops..Personally, I think the Museum gift shops offer some of the best/unique souvies/gifts in the Country! So much to see.. so little time:-) Where North are you headed?! Am sure you'll have a blast....enjoy!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

Graham...any news?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

Thanks for the feedback. The tour is 34 euros per person, but, with the 12 euros museum pass--it quickly adds up. We are staying at Agionissi Resort for a week, east of Thessaloniki. For the past few years, we have determined where in the world to go based upon what trip we "win" in a local ecotourism charity auction. So far, we have been to Peru, Palau, Costa Rica, using this technique. Kind of throwing a dart. This is our first time to Greece, and we get to visit friends in Germany on the same trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

I want to win that lottery!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

Hi lacontessa, it's a shame to leave one full day for Athens, so little time, so MUCH to do,but it does happen, know you are just getting a small glimpse... {walk it yourself, do your RESEARCH!}

skip the Temple of Zeus - it's across the road and you may get a room with a view of it anwyway,

then take the Dionyssiou Areopaghitou pavement which commences at the Acropolis station. Go through the entrance there, by the Theatre of Dionysos. Walk the ruins, pass Herodion theatre, and onto the normal uphill walk to the Acropolis.

Exiting the Acropolis I would be in a dilemma, exit via Anafiotika or main entrance through Thissio {Apostolou Pavlou}

Anafiotikia option will give me Anafiotikia, Plaka, Monasteraki, then walk around Kerameikos, Ancient Agora,

Main entrance {Apostolou Pavlou} will give me Pnyx Hill,Ancient Agora, Kerameikos, Monasteraki, Plaka, but you'll miss out on Anafiotika,probably won't walk up there again,and may even get lost.

I would have lunch either in Anafiotika, Thissio, Monasteraki or Psyrri.

I wouldn't miss out on the Roman Agora, Tower of wind and Hadrian's library.

Exhausted, I would continue to Syndagma. Try to co-ordinate the changing of the guards [every hr/on the hour- Sunday in national costume}, walk one street behind to Presidential palace [once King's plc} onto to marble Olympic Stadium of 1896 games. Exhausted I would stumble to the Athens Gate for a snooze, before geting up to either head towards Thissio ro Psyrri for a bite to eat [2 neighbourhoods quite lively at night}.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

Have you considered taking the hop-on, hop-off bus? I did it last time I was in Athens and loved it. It takes you to all the sights around the city centre, incl. the Acropolis, and you get a really good feel for the city. It's convenient if you're jet lagged, as it means you don't have to orientate yourself. There are numerous stops and you can hop off and on as many times as you like. The ticket was 18 euros per person for 24 hours, so a lot more reasonable than a guided tour of the Acropolis (I agree with the others, you can easily enough do that yourself, with a guidebook). Do not pay 92 euros for it, it's way too overpriced.

9. Re: Suggestions for 2 nites & 1 full day in Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 20:18