We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it safe to travel to athens?

london
2 posts
Save Topic
is it safe to travel to athens?

Hi,

We are a group of three females thinking of going to Athens for a long weekend. We have heard that there are riots, protests and possibly bombings taking place in Athens? Is this true? Has anyone travelled to Athens in the last few weeks? What is the situation there like?

Thanks hope to hear from you soon,

Annie.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

Yes- Athens is safe. I've never felt the least bit threatened there. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever felt safer in any city. Please go and have a great time. Yes there was some trouble a while back, but mostly it was property damage and not directed at people. If you feel safe in London, then Athens should be a breeze.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
London
London
England, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

I was there 3 weeks ago. No sign of trouble anywhere, just some ugly graffiti here and there. I wouldn't be at all concerned.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

I haven't heard anything of the sort recently. Much of what you mention took place due to the killing of a teenager by police back before Christmas. And even then, the problems were localized and contained, and were not directed at people, but property. Go and have a wonderful time in a wonderful city. I'm sure some of the regulars on here, who live in Athens, will put your mind at ease once they wake up!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

If I told you Athens is safer than London are you going to missunderstand it?..........

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
London
London
England, UK
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

ANY area in Athens is WAY safer than ANY area in London at ALL times,so please do come.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
London
London
England, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

I would personally feel safer in Athens then London.. Your chances of getting bombed in a bus or subway are much greater then in Athens. I had friends in London in 2005 when those bombings happened. I dont ever recall anything like that in Athens.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
London
London
England, UK
london
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

thanks everybody...cant wait for my trip 2 Athens now!!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

When something bad happens in a city once, doesn't mean that it turns it into an unsafe place. Just because something tragic happened in London in 2005 doesn't mean that London is an unsafe place and just because there were demonstrations in Athens (which the media turned into riots) in December doesn't mean that Athens is now insafe.

Sp, let's welcome Anizzzzz to Athens and let's not exaggerate about another beautiful city (in which I always feel very safe)!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

You will be absoloutely fine as people have said, no need to worry whatsoever.

A very concerning post though as it shows the damage that the press coverage in the UK could potentially do to the Greek economy.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it safe to travel to athens?

"press coverage in the UK could potentially do to the Greek economy."

...and i will probably never know why so much attack and exagaration...