We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

Midlands
11 posts
Save Topic
Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

This year myself and two friends are doing a study tour on a budget. I'm going to be faithfully recording our ins and outs on a travel blog that can be found here - http://kateinathens.blogspot.com/

The main idea is to help students like ourselves when going to Greece (particularly the Athens area) and show what goes right, and what goes wrong when in a foreign country where you can't even read the language nevermind understand it. Also to see how far our budgets get us daily and general information like where we ate, how long it takes to get to certain places and what lines we used to get there etc.

Hopefully this will be useful to people. We don't leave until the end of the month so watch out on the blog for daily updates. I'll post up a full travel report here (minus all the pictures and archaeological stuff) when I get back from Greece.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
926 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

kate

Your trip looks terrific, you'll certainly be covering alot of ground!

A couple of thoughts about your itinerary:

You'll have the chance to see the Herodeion (Theater of Herod Atticus as it is also known) as you ascend the Acropolis, so this will really be included with your Acropolis day, it isn't usually open so you have to look into it from above anyway. (I love that you have allowed yourself the whole day ... in fact your whole trip is really planned without the typical frantic pace alot of travels choose for Athens!)

The Panathenaic Stadium (AKA Kalimarmaro Stadio, for it's beautiful marble construction) would best be visited after the Temple of Olympian Zeus, so you might want to make that a morning/afternoon on the same day, and you could stop for a picnic in the National Gardens or at the Zappeion Gardens ... there is a nice cafe there called Aegli (although it is somewhat pricy, so it might not be budget friendly, but there is always a splurge on a frappe). If you have a chance, do go inside the Zappeio building, the rotunda is beautiful.

One other option for this day is to do to another cemetery, the Athens First cemetery - I see you have an interest in the anceint occult, this cemetery focuses more on the modern occult, but the sculptures/tombstones are simply amazing. It is a beautiful place to wander around for a few hours, and it is somewhat behind the Stadium, so you will be nearby.

A note about the above two suggestions, if you plan this for Friday, and go in the morning, there is an outdoor farmer's market off of Plateia Varnava behind the Stadium. You might want to stock up her on some fresh fruits, etc.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

Hi there

It is indeed refreshing to see someone contemplating a "relaxed" visit to Athens rather than the standard 3 day trip during which they exopect to see everything. All I would say is that the 31st March looks "over" relaxed - unless you like savouring the views or are specifically interested in ancient sites, I can't see you needing all day for the Acropolis.

You could easily see all that's on offer within a couple of hours, three at the most.

Midlands
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

GVRGirl - thanks for your advice on restructuring things! I'll rearrange that on our paper version that's in front of me now.

In regards to the extra cemetery - the paper I'm doing is a university paper on 'What did the Classical Greeks believe in regards to death cult?' (or something similar) and thus any grave sites that don't fall under the period from about 700BC-Roman invasion just don't fit into my time scale. Thank you for the suggestion though. If we have any free time, we'll check it out!

And fresh fruit will probably be fantastic by that point in time. I foresee us living off kebabs and McDonald's at the moment.

Hi there

It is indeed refreshing to see someone contemplating a "relaxed" visit to Athens rather than the standard 3 day trip during which they exopect to see everything. All I would say is that the 31st March looks "over" relaxed - unless you like savouring the views or are specifically interested in ancient sites, I can't see you needing all day for the Acropolis.

You could easily see all that's on offer within a couple of hours, three at the most.

GBfromDevizes - Our trip to the Acropolis is a full day because we don't just have to see it, we have to study it. One of our papers due in after this trip is about the Ancient Greek Sanctuaries, focus Acropolis, Olympia, Delphi and Epidaurus. Thus we're spending a full day at the Acropolis. We need to leave no stone unturned! As I said, we're doing a Study Tour rather than going on holiday.

Midlands
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

Oops. Left some text in that above reply that wasn't supposed to be there...

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

Hi again

Of course, that's understood!! Enjoy your trip to Athens.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

It looks like you have a great trip planned- I look forward to reading your blog!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

Hello! Seems like a very nice trip and will love to read your report!

I see you are visiting Delphi as a day trip. Are you using an organised tour, or public bus?

Note that on Mondays museum opens at 12.00,at least that was the case last time I checked and has been for years. Sites are open at 8.00 though.

The Temple in the picture on your blog,is the Athena Pronaia Temple. Lots of people wrongly confuse it with Temple of Apollon (Temple of Apollon looks a bit like Temple of Posidon on Cape Sounio,although undortunately not too many standing columns survive!).

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

Traditional Greek taverna food is much more nutritious and inexpensive than MacDonalds - I don't suppose McD's will be any more like British McD's than the British stuff is like North American McDs.

Eat the way the Greeks do - split a horiatiki (Greek salad) among you - order a few souvlaki skewers - there's no rule that you have to order the whole platter with pita, etc., and some chips/french fries - and you have a good meal that won't cost the earth. We also order a tzatziki to go along with it because we like the sauce with our chips - not to everyone's taste, I know - but it says to us that we're back in Greece - a favourite place.

If you want a special dinner one night - go somewhere that has pydakia - tiny lamb chops, marinated and charcoal grilled and sold by the kilo - outstanding. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Drink the local plonk - anything imported is much more costly - Coca Cola is more expensive in a cafe than coffee - if you really need to drink it buy it from a grocery store - bring your own tea - Greek coffee is very strong and tasty - if you think it's too strong ask for Americana or for some hot water - but the tea isn't anything to write home about.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

Hey Kate, good luck--from one budgeteer to another!

Some students these days don't seem to need caffeine in the mornings, but if you do -- tea & coffee are about THE most overpriced things on the Greek menu. The GReeks moan about it all the time. If your lodgings include breakfast, great. Otherwise you may find yourself paying 2-3€ for coffee/tea, with no refills... and good luck with getting a cup of hot water. My budget trick for breakfast is to buy the nite before yogurt and/or some bread/pastry, and I use a small steel thermos, an immersion heater & greek coffee (or their Nescafe, MUCH different to UK or US Nescafe ANd better). YOu could bring tea, as suggested. Then u can have your brekkie on your balcony, or the courtyard of your hostel, whatever.

10. Re: Our Study Tour! March/April 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 00:17