We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar crashing against the Euro

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar crashing against the Euro

With the rapid decline of the USD, dropping almost 10 cents in 2 weeks vs. the Euro, definitely pondering over getting Euros now before my trip in May, as opposed to waiting 'till I arrive in Europe. Would you wait or go for it now?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

Personally, have NEVER purchased Euros (or any other currency in my travels for that matter) in advance.. always use the atm (debit card only) at airport upon arrival! Enjoy!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

The currency market just keeps fluctuating....if it went down 10 cents in 2 weeks, who is to say that it won't go back up 10 cents in the next 2 weeks?? Probably, if you would look, you would find that the current rate is what it had been 4 weeks ago! I think I would sit tight and wait it out. I'm with Litsa....we always just wait until we get to Athens and withdraw euros from an ATM machine. So very easy!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

The US dollar is not crashing against the Euro. It is better by 20 cents since last September. The best exchange rate is from an ATM when you get to Europe.

The economies of Europe are no better than the current US economy and in some cases much worse.

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

All true, but if you wish to get some Euros before departing: xe.com/cash/faq I haven't bought from them but friends have and tell me they have the best rates.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,216 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

Planning on doing some currency speculation, are you? Won't you feel foolish if the euro is lower in May? And then have to carry all that cash around during the trip?

Before taking the plunge, read this:

dailyfx.com/story/market_alerts/technical_al…

Of course forex traders are sometimes wrong, too! :o))

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

>Would you wait or go for it now?<

my friend if I knew the answer to that question I wouldn't be posting here,I would be relaxing in my Mansion in Monaco w/ Monica Beluci sitting on my lap & tons of haviar and Crystal by my side...:)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

IMO, and please feel free to ignore it, it's good to buy in advance if you think you've found a good rate.

I bought GBP last week, when the rate was 0,9050. Today it is 0,8750. Guess who's happy!

BUT you have to know what you are doing. I've been watching the GBP sine after New Year's!

To my knowledge though, currently, the dollar is quite good against the euro. The crash was last year.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

Th13

You are a one woman economic stimulus package.

You have no problem converting GPB to Euros.- If only you could convert centigrade to farenheit you could be the chief economist for Greece. LOL

Hope you are well.

Gbow

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

I check the rates for the CAD dollar against the US dollar and the Euro, about 100 times a day. I know its not good, but I cant help it.

I do trading a lot at work, and sometimes, within a few hours we've made a couple thousand dollars on the money we traded earlier in the morning. We dont do it for profit, just trading when we need more Canadian or US. But still, choices of when to trade could save us a lot of money.

I bought my euros a few weeks ago, I am only in Greece a short time, so I didnt buy a lot, but on what I did buy, I am up 30 Euros for what the rate is right now. And for me, someone on a tight budget, that is great! 30 euros more then I would have if I bought now, is fantastic to me, its not a lot, but I'm happy!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dollar crashing against the Euro

If farenheit could buy me shoes, then I would know how to do it, LOL! Besides, you are the official C to F convertor of the forums!!!

I am very well, thank you! It's always good to see you around here. I'm hoping that I will see you again in Athens.

I have 70 pounds more than I'd have if I exchanged my euros today and I am a very happy gal!