We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amazon or amalia ?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
amazon or amalia ?

what do you think about hotel amazon and hotel amalia in athens? good location? clean? any other hotel in this area and this budget (euro 100) that i should consider. i am traveling alone and will be in athens in may for 4 days. thanks.

North Berwick...
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: amazon or amalia ?

Have not stayed at either of your suggestions but have inspected the Amazon on a previous visit and it appeared perfectly acceptable. Both are in close proximity to the centre of town and metro stations.

The Athens Cypria has strong support from several regular TA contributors and is also well placed.

http://www.athenscypria.com/

A general search of previous postings should provide a, probably bewildering, range of options -good luck with your choice and enjoy your trip..

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amazon or amalia ?

Amenities wise, Amalia is a better option. Front rooms offer views to National Gardens ( may be noisier though ), side rooms face side road ( will be quieter though ). Location is a block from Syndagma sq. and airport bus, on a main avenue. Hotel is newer and offers a roof top terrace with views to Acropolis.

Amazon is an nice option too. Rooms are older ( still new and very clean though, it's just that hotel was refurbished in 2004, while Amalia in 2007 ). Bathrooms are smaller. It's a quieter spot, two blocks from Syndagma sq. No roof top terrace.

If you are looking for a newer hotel and more modern style is high in your list, go for Amalia. If you are looking for a quieter option, gor for Amazon. Overall, i would consider Amalia a much better hotel ( in comparable price though ) with one only possible con of some road noise in front+lower rooms.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: amazon or amalia ?

Hi --

I haven't stayed at either hotel, either - but my vote goes with the roof terrace - there is nothing more Greek than a roof terrace - and one where you can see the Acropolis - why are we even discussing this. Get some ear plugs and stay with the roof terrace. It will be one of the most lasting memories of your life.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amazon or amalia ?

Hey again ndonthu:-) Havin stayed at both (albeit Amazon prior to renov), hands down head to the Amalia..for all reasons already mentioned:-) Great rate for Amalia! Enjoy!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
771 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: amazon or amalia ?

Ndonthu

I've stayed at the Amazon and while the location is great the hotel itself is not. The room was ok but the bathroom was tiny if that matters to you. Also the hotel is devoid of any charm. You could do better.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: amazon or amalia ?

If you can get the Amalia at the price of the Amazon,

or my old fav, the Cypria...go for it. Its a very nice hotel..Stayed there years ago, but checked it out on my last trip. Nicely redone. Have fun!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: amazon or amalia ?

Amalia...: )

8. Re: amazon or amalia ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 19:24