We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

new york
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

I'm going to be in Athens for one full day (after a weeklong stay in Santorini). I arrive around 8:30 in the morning, and have a 7:15 am flight out the next day. I am debating whether I should stay at the Sofitel Airport hotel (I have access to a free night) or whether I should stay in the center of town. At the Sofitel, I would spend the full day running around the city and probably catch an early dinner, then head back to the hotel. With the other option, I would be able to have a more leisurely day in Athens, be able to enjoy the nightlife more thoroughly, but then would have a painfully early trip to the airport the next day.

Assuming I would take the Metro to and from the airport, regardless of where I stay, what is the better option? Will I be missing out by not staying in the center of town? If I do stay in town, I'm looking at the Attalos Hotel--does anyone have other suggestions for affordable, well-located hotels, preferably around the Syntagma Square area?

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

When are you going to be there? The metro to the airport is currently not running and probably won't be for several more months. There are buses of course, but the bus takes you to Syntagma Sq., NOT Monastiraki Sq where the blue line of the metro can leave you (my point here is about the Attalos - it's no longer so convenient, because it's near the metro but not near the bus).

To me, it sounds like you have a pretty darn good reason to stay at the Sofitel - free AND an early flight! You can take the bus to the Sofitel late at night if you decide to stay in Athens center longer.

It's easy enough to go to the Sofitel (it's a 30 second walk from the airport terminal), leave your stuff, hop on the bus and spend the whole day in Athens until you're ready to go to bed, then hop back on the bus to the Sofitel.

If you do decide to stay in Athens, Syntagma Sq is your best bet for sure (thus Attalos, not so great) - check out Central Hotel or Amalia or Cypria or Pan or ... there are a lot. I always stay at Central Hotel www.centralhotel.gr when I need to be in Syntagma Square.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

Definitely stay at the Sofitel,the buses are running 24/7/365 so you will be fine w/ late night transportation from the city center to your hotel.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

If you have access to a free night in Sofitel, do pick this :) It's a very good hotel, while convenience of getting up in the morning and just crossing the pavement to get to the Terminal is huge.

Arriving at Athens check in at the Sofitel, leave all luggages there, take a tiny super light backpack with some sandwich and some space to get souvies and take X95 bus all the way to Syndagma. Spend the whole day in Athens and take an evening bus back to the Airport.

In the probable event of Sofitel not being able to get you to the room at 08:30am, just check in on reception, leave them your luggages and get to the room at the evening upon returning from the city. As i get it they will get your luggages up to the room around midday - 1pm when check in time is. Again, it may be possible to do an early check in.

If this is your first visit in Athens, skip Syndagma ( it's a nice but noisy start ) and take Red metro line to Acropolis stop, starting from there, working your way up on Dionysiou Areopagitou str. It's a fully pedestrian area, a bliss comparing to noisy avenues a little outer :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

I agree:-) A freebie at the Sofitel WITH the convenience of the airport bus into Town right accross the Street at any time you want...wonderful! Have fun and Enjoy!

new york
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

Thank you for all of your feedback! Seems like a pretty clear-cut decision now.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

Our pleasure:-) Have a blast...and keep enjoyin'!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,960 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

Here is to give you an idea about the airport and the Sofitel:

http://tinyurl.com/daeq8f

I have stayed there 4 times for my last night, and it is - like mentioned above - very convenient. Add to the convenience that you can have a decent breakfast before yopur check-in if you like.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

If one stays at the Sofital waht is the best way into town? Express bus? Where do you pick it up on the way back?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

Express bus is the best option.

X95 will get you to Ethniki Amyna stop on Blue metro line path ( where you can hook on metro if you want ). This bus continues all the way to Syndagma Square downtown where it is start / end point.

X94 gets you only till above mentioned Blue metro station Ethniki Amyna. You can hook there on metro on daytime.

Reverse, uou can catch X95 at many locations downtown. Most convenient and obvious point is its start / end point right on Syndagma Sq. You can catch it though in other locations further on its path like Hilton Hotel or abovementioned Ethniki Amyna stop on Blue metro line.

As expected, X94 can be caught at Ethniki Amyna blue metro station.

Bus all the way is the easiest option to go downtown.

Bus till the point referred and then metro will take you to the exact same point, still will save time on morning and afternoon rush hour.

Map at lower right side of:

www.aia.gr/pages.asp?pageid=981&langid=2

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sofitel Airport vs. In-town hotel

Start point at Airport is outside Arrivlas level. You just exit Sofitel, cross pavement and walk i'd say 80 feet to the left.