We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in Athens in June

sunshine4578
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
one day in Athens in June

I am spending two nights/one day in Athens this June. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel within walking distance to restaurants/the center, etc. Price range is 100-150 euro. Pool is not necessary just a safe area near town.

Also...if we only have a day...what are the "must do activities" other than the Acropolis. Thanks in advance...

sunshine4578
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in Athens in June

sorry the budget is between $100- $150 US Dollars...thanks!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in Athens in June

Hi there

You could try the Cypria Hotel - this sits on Diomias, a pedestrianised side street just off the top end (east end) or the main shopping street Ermou. It's within 2 mins stroll of Syntagma Square and no more than 5-10 mins walk from many of the top sights. I've stayed there and it's a great, well run place.

www.athenscypria.com

Other sights to see - get to the Acropolis as early as you can to beat the crowds and queues. Then you have loads within a short walk - Roman agora, ancient agora, Temple of Zeus, Hadrians arch and Library, Karameikos, Roman baths, 1896 Olympic stadium, Presidential palace, changing of the guard, Evzone barracks, the Zappeion, the list is endless

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in Athens in June

I would do a morning walking tour that would hit the major sites around the Acropolis and explain it all to you(we used www.athenswalkingtour.gr ) and then spend the rest of the afternoon nosing around what looks interesting to you. Your tour guide can give you directions on what else you would find to be interesting.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in Athens in June

I would second Dr. Debi's suggestion. We also used Athens Walking Tour and had Despina as our guide. We had a wonderful 3 hour tour starting at the Syntagma metro stop and ending at the Acropolis. Your guide will also give you the tour of the Acropolis. You will pretty much see all of the important sights doing it this way. When the tour is finished, you can spend additional time in the Plaka area. The tour is reasonably priced but does not include your Acropolis admission (think it is E13.00).

We were very pleased with our tour and you will have a more "hands on" tour doing it this way. It is not a long or difficult walk. The tour starts at 9:30 am so you will be walking before the heat of the day.

We stayed at the Phillipos Hotel which was very central to everything and they have a sister hotel (Herodion)that our friends stayed at.

http://www.herodion.gr/homepage.asp

The website will link you to both hotels and you can check prices. We booked through www.booking.com as the price was a bit cheaper. It was a satisfactory hotel for a one night stay, rooms were on the small side but that is typical in Europe. Some of the rooms will have views of the Acropolis.

May

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day in Athens in June

I just noticed that the Herodion is ranked #17 by TA and Phillipos #34. Both are close to the Acropolis but in quiet areas.

Good luck. Enjoy your stay in Athens.

May

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one day in Athens in June

I should add that we stayed at the Attalos Hotel www.attalos.gr because it had a good location (2 min. walk to Monastiraki Square) and the price was right (especially as we needed a room for 4) AND it had a nice rooftop bar with a view of the Acropolis (this was a nice way to spend the evening). The street it is on is kind of the street-of-hardware- stores, in fact the entrance is wedged between 2 hardware stores. It's not the most atmospheric neighborhood but I just choked on the price of the "nicer" neighborhoods. It fit our needs. Not fancy, but VERY helpful front desk, best shower we had in all of Greece, small but adequate room, nice balcony (worth asking for a higher floor and a balcony), good location, great view from rooftop bar. Plumbing made a funny noise like a bomb dropping whenever we flushed the toilet, but that just made us laugh!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one day in Athens in June

Hi there

Bear in mind that you can buy the 12 euros combined entry ticket that covers 7 of the top sights in Athens. You can purchase the ticket at any of these sights and it allows entry to all of them

Acropolis

Temple of Zeus

Hadrian's Library

Theatre of Dionysos

Roman agora

Ancient agora

Karameikos

Don't leave Karameikos from the list - it's a fascinating and under-rated sight in the city and includes sections of old city walls and gates.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day in Athens in June

Darn it, GB, LOL, that's the one place on the ticket we did not get to last visit, so now I feel the pressure to go there this June!!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day in Athens in June

Make sure to get there this time, you won't regret it!!!

10. Re: one day in Athens in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 07:22