We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
314 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

Hi

We will be arriving about 6pm and would like to catch the X95 bus to Syntagma square.

Can anyone answers the following questions please?

- Does it still go about 7~8pm? (depending how long it takes to get out of airport.)

- What's the cost (2 adults and 2 children)?

- Approximately how long does it take at that time on a Friday evening?

- Is it signposted when you're at the airport, or when you exit the airport?

- How far is it from the airport - a 5 mins walk or closer?

Many thanks indeed (in the hope I get some answers).

Ju

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

-Does it still go about 7~8pm? (depending how long it takes to get out of airport.)

Yes. It runs 24 hours per day.

- What's the cost (2 adults and 2 children)?

3.20 x 4 = 12.80 euros

- Approximately how long does it take at that time on a Friday evening?

an hour, give or take.

- Is it signposted when you're at the airport, or when you exit the airport?

Yes - sign for "Buses" and the bus itself says "X95" on its scrolling lighted sign.

Seven seconds, walking.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
314 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

Wow thanks Xaroula , that was so quick - I thought I wouldn't get a reply until tomorrow particularly as you're 2 hrs in front I think!!

That's great and the cost is much cheaper than a taxi which I expect wouldn't take a lot less time would it? Does the bus stop at several stops en route to Syntagma Square or just go there direct? If it was a case that the taxi would be half the time, I think we'd opt for that.

Many thanks again

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

Ιt's an express bus, so it pretty much goes straight to Syntagma (can stop at Hilton perhaps). It takes the same amount of time as a taxi, plus the time it takes from when you get on the bus, until the bus leaves. Meaning, the taxi starts going as soon as you get into it; the bus may not start going until you've been sitting on it for 15 minutes. So that is the potential difference.

A taxi should cost 30-40 euros from the airport to Syntagma, so you do save a lot. Besides, public transportation is better for the environment! :)

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

Where exactly does the X95 bus let you out at Syntagma Square? We're staying at the Hotel Central, which I undestand is close to Syntagma, and I'm trying to get oriented so we won't wander around aimlessly. Thanks!

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

Hi TarHeel, when you get out of the bus, you'll be on the upper end of a low hill. Turn so the Parliament building (huge light yellow neoclassical government building with police hanging around) is behind you, and the fancy hotels are off on the other side of the square to your right. Walk down the hill three blocks (counting the block you're on) (crossing Filellinon and Nikis Streets). Turn left onto Voulis Street. Continue one block on this street, then turn right down Apollonos Street. The Central Hotel is about 50 feet down Apollonos Street on the right side. The whole walk should take you five minutes tops.

P.S. I haven't gotten *off* the X95 bus in Syntagma since they moved the bus stop. I'm assuming you get on and off at the same place; the above is based on where I've gotten *on*. If you get off at the bottom of the square (as used to be the case), then someone will come in here and correct me, I hope.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

No, Madame X, it stops at the top of the square... and with your terrific instructions, a person could do it blindfolded.

I also think it is useful to remind people to go to the website of their hotel, and they will find EXACTLY what they need to know. I just now Googled "Hotel Central Athens" and their website came up. On its Home Page there is a line "Click here to see the Map". I did and PRESTO -- an exact map, in color yet, showing how to walk the 3 blocks or so from X95 bus to the door of the hotel. See?

Trip Advisor is your trusted #2 stop; but Google is #1, and it may answer your question before you ask it on TA.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

Keep in mind that from May 1st and onwards, reduced public transportation ticket prices apply.

So:

- Children under 6 years old travel for free

- Children above 6 and under 18 travel on half ticket

- Seniors above 65 travel on half ticket too.

These apply on airport routes too.

So, proceeding to the manned booth ( or the driver ) to buy tickets, ask him / her, "2 tickets and 2 children" or something liek this.

If you get to the booth and just ask for 4 tickets, man inside is not always able to discrete who in the queueing crowd is travelling, so you have to ask for the specific tickets.

So, if travelling with two under 18 children, price is just 9.60 euros per airport bus ride for the four of you.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

7 seconds fro any intra-Schengen arrival.

Visitors from UK and USA will have to walk another 2 minutes :-)

Buses depart from the right end of the terminal. It's a compact linear terminal, not huge and you cannot really miss the buses.

After getting your luggage, exit to welcome zone and just walk to the right all the way to the end.

It is really easy.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

>Ιt's an express bus, so it pretty much goes straight to Syntagma (can stop at Hilton perhaps).<

well not ..exactly...:) it makes 20 stops,but still it takes around an hour to go to Syntagma (it has an advantage on taxis since it uses bus lanes once it reaches the city limits)

Lisboa
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: X95 Bus from Airport to Syntagma Square

Just one correction to the excelent detailed explanation. As you go down apollonos street the central hotel is on your left, just neighboring hotel hermes. Even with young children it took us 10-15 minutes walk from sindagma square.

So if you get lost ask for hotel central or apollonos street, some people don't know hotel central so you can ask for hotel hermes that is next dor and apparently more well known.