We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Athens?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Athens?

I will be staying at the Westin Astir Palace HOtel in Athens and was wondering if it would be necessary to rent a car for the 5 nights that I will be staying there with my daughter. How far is it from the center of town? Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Athens?

Hey and welcome travelbug12:-) The Astir Palace is located on the outskirts of the City by the Sea in Vouliagmeni..trams/buses can get you into the City in about an hour(?)..not sure on the time but am sure someone will kick in with specifics! As for the rental, would not suggest one for getting INTO Athens since you'd have some major parking issues at the very least..you'd be way better off w/public transport or a cab! You're staying at a beautiful property..have fun and Enjoy!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Athens?

Hi there

Litsa is sooo right. Driving in Athens isn't for the faint-hearted and with the city's great public transport, there's really no call for a car anyway.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
925 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Athens?

Hi,

i checked into staying at the Westin also, although I decided not to.

They have a free shuttle which will drop you off in front of the Parliament bldg. and also stops at Glyfada.

E-mail them at:

Westin.Concierge@starwoodhotels.com

and they wil send you a summer shuttle schedule.

Joe

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Athens?

I also vote for not renting a car if planning to get in Athens.

Athens traffic is most of the times so dense. Don't spend your time driving in Athens.

I would exploit any potential i was offered ( hotel shuttle for example ) to find a way to hook to subway system. Subway is fast and clean. It is a massive transportation system, still gets you fast around.

Check if hotel shuttle passes by Sygroy - Fix or Neos Kosmos subway stops or any other stop on Red metro line on its way to downtown. You can leave shuttle earlier if possible to get into subway system. Eve faster option than going all the way to downtown through all the traffic :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Athens?

Nick has the right idea; take advantage of the shuttle.

Ask them though, which way the shuttle takes to go downtown.If it takes the coastal route all the way to Faliro(unlikely in my opinion) and then cuts inland straight up to Plaka, Acropolis and such along Syngrou ave, then you will not really gain much in my opinion by getting off unless there is a serious bottleneck in front of you.

On the other hand if the bus takes Vouliagmenis ave towards Athens then you should ask them to drop you off at Agios Dimitrios metro station.That will save loads of time.Also if the shuttle does not operate late at night,use the metro red line to go to the Agios Dimitrios station(line ends there)and take a taxi from there to the hotel.It should be way under 10 euro(not sure because of the recent rate increases).

The reverse will work also, if they have a shuttle schedule that is not convenient to you.Take a cab from the hotel to the metro.You could take the regular bus to the metro station,but by the time you walk from the hotel to Poseidonos ave to get to the bus stop, the cab will practically have you at the metro.Which ever way you chose, do not take a cab all the way to Athens if you are within the metro's operating hours.You will be wasting both money and loads of time.Agios Dimitrios metro to anywhere in the tourist center is under 10 min.

6. Re: Car rental in Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 06:22