We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

Ontario
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

My partner and I are bringing my 22 year old daughter and her friend to Athens. On day 3 we are parting ways...they are going island hopping and we are touring the mainland. My question is, is it safe to send them via metro to Piraeus and let them find their ferries on their own, or should we take them there? They are smart, streetwise girls but don't speak a bit of Greek. Perhaps I'm being over protective. Any advice???

George's Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Private Greece Tours
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Free Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Athens Limo Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Archaeology Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

Provided this is not their first time travelling/in a foreign country, they'll be fine. They just need to be there in plenty of time to get their bearings and pick up tickets (if they need to do that).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

Wouldn't worry shellseeker64;-) Greece is one of (if not THE) safest Countries..even for solo female travellers! Normal precautions you'd apply anywhere of course! Trust you'll each have fun experiencing your own adventures! Enjoy!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

They are 22,they are not 12! What kind of question is this?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

They'll be fine. Like Litsa, says Greece is very safe. I would feel perfectly comfortable letting my own young daughter travel alone in Athens. My only concern with her finding her ferry would be that she might get lost--Piraeus is a big port--and that's easily solved. Tinsey's advice is good, they should show up early. A good map of Pireaus could also prove useful. If your daughter is anything like mine, finding her own way is a challenge she'll enjoy.

5. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 May 2009, 02:45
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

The metro terminates at the ferry port so there is no issue of them getting off at the wrong stop.

All they have to do is follow the crowds to get into the port.

What ferry are they planning to catch. If it is Blue Star that is the first ferry slip that they will come to.

If it is a different ferry they are going to have to search. There are ticket agencies around this area and they will be able to ask for directions. So many Greeks speak English that they will not have a problem.

Since you have the first three days together all of you could take a scouting mission on the metro to find the ferry dock, to buy the tickets and find out exactly where the ship will sail from.

Frankly this is exactly what we did the first time we planned to take the metro to the ferry. We were catching the 7:30 am ferry and we didn't think we had enough time to make a mistake so we took the metro the day before and called it an excursion to Piraeus.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

I don't angree with parents guiding daughters and friends to everything. They will be alone for the rest of their trip anyway... And at times, they may be lost, they may have to ask for directions, they may to THINK without having to rely on mummy and daddy... Doesn't makes difference if this will happen on their way to Piraeus, or when they are ON the ferry, or on their first or second stop on the islands.

They are young adults and they are wise enough to make their own ways and decisions.

Anyway, someone never learns if s/he has never face a dillemma or a difficulty. That's the way it is (life, that is)!

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

"Although blunt, I must ask. Is this a serious question? If you are truely asking about the definition of Over Protective, Yes you are being over protective. You shot right past over protective to unchartered territory. Relax. Let these 22Y Adults travel and live a little. If they are of average intelligence and know about personal safety, they will be fine, indeed fantastic, and have a great trip. The following is free professional advice: get a hobby."

kaydeeiowa, while you may not agree with Shellseekers worries about her daughter, is there any need to be quite so rude? We are all different and you are clearly more outspoken than most but that doesn't give you the right to be offensive.

PS. I don't usually comment on spelling/grammar, but I do feel that it you're going to post in such a superior tone, you should run it through a spellcheck first.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

The metro line ends right at the ferry port, so there should be no problem. It indeed is a busy area, so I recommend that you download a good map of the port, pinpoint the ferry location from the metro stop, and enjoy your trip.

SpartanZoe
Level Contributor
379 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: letting go of 22 year old daughters at the ferry

Ferry ports anywhere in Europe are often like large railway stations...not necessarily indicative of the cleanliness and safety of the rest of the city. Pireaus seen from a newcomers eyes can be dirty, crowded and confusing and it attracts the usual homeless, beggars and street vendors that do not add to its charm. North American/Canadian young people can be a little less street wise than their European counterparts too and unused to dealing with foreign languages. I see nothing wrong with the OP's question and feel that responses such as some of the above are what are driving people away from TA. We need to try to remember we are merely 'Trip Advisors' not the Oracle at Delphi!