We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too hot in August?

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
411 reviews
Save Topic
Too hot in August?

I am thinking about a trip to Athens in August. I was having dinner with someone last night who mentioned it was too hot to go sightseeing in August.

I find this hard to believe, so I thought I would ask the experts here. :)

I am sure it will be quite warm, but with drinking enough water, I can't imagine it would be unbearable.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Too hot in August?

My husband (and all of his side of the family) are exactly the same - and susceptible to skin cancer to boot, so they have to be extra careful in the sun. Thin, light coloured T-shirts don't offer enough protection. When on the beach during the day, hubby sits under the umbrella with a beach towel over his shoulders and high SPF too. He never burns, but every time he comes back from his holiday, his colleagues say the same thing: no tan? was the weather no good? did it rain? etc.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Too hot in August?

Aw, that sounds bad! Sun is good for us in proper doses*, so if you can't stay under it at all then it's sad. :-(

*To find what a proper dose is: take how long I stay under the sun, divide by 10 and the result is a proper does. ;-)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Too hot in August?

August is wonderful. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Wouldn't catch me going to the islands with all the hustle and bustle, but then I have the luxury of travelling in July in comparison to most who have to take their holidays in August.

Meltemia winds/lack of crowds/milder temps in comp to July {July is the hottest month}= + + +

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Too hot in August?

Peoples perceptions, memory, whatever are amazing.

I have heard many times that Julky is the hotter month, than August, and guess what they're right.

Statistics over the last 40 years:

July Average 27.8 C Average Maximum 31.6 C

August Average 27.6 C Average Maximum 31.4 C

but not much in it though.

I always go to Greece in August, and it's great. Hot, but not unbearable. Now if you were in Dubai at that same time of year, that's another story altogether!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Too hot in August?

aredub, wouldn't like to try Dubai or Egypt, that's for sure. Have heard it can get up to 60 deg cels in the shade in Aswan...

another point re-Meltemia winds. These cause havoc on the islands. Great though if you're in Athens..

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Too hot in August?

July is defenitely the hotest month in Greece, and thus the worst one for a visit. August can still be very hot, but at least Athens is almost empty (especially around 15th ). Its a VERY rare occasion that people who stay back really enjoy. On the other hand August is when the islands are most crowded.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Too hot in August?

I don't know why we're arguing about July vs. August. The question posed is if it's too hot to go sightseeing in Athens in August - not how it compares to July (as if a couple of C points up or down will make a difference) nor if it's comfy for locals (most of whom I'm willing to bet travel in air conditioned cars and work in air conditioned offices etc.) plus they're used to the heat, as they experience it year after year. So yes, it may be very pleasant living and working in Athens in August if this is your home, but is it equally pleasant if you're staying at a hotel/hostel with basic air con, and want to spend your days out and about looking at things, which is, after all, the definition of "sightseeing"?

No offense, I also thought Athens at the end of August would be lovely - until I tried it with a group of friends who'd never been before and they all seemed to disagree.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Too hot in August?

Also, the fact that Athens is empty is of little consequence to the visitor, who spends most of his or her time around Syntagma and Plaka, as these areas are never "empty". Yes, there may be few cars on Syngrou or Vouliagmenis, but how many tourists will care for that? Plus it's not really empty for the whole month, just for the first 2-3 weeks, which is the time the islands are a chocker, and if you're visiting Athens and the islands as most people do, what you gain in Athens in terms of relative tranquility, you lose when you hit Mykonos.

Bah! You can't win ;-)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Too hot in August?

Tinsey, we aren't arguing, we are exchanging thoughts and memories.

Athens IS empty around the 15th of August. Syntagma and Plaka as well. I know cause I stay here deliberately and I go out every day. You can walk in the middle of Paneipistimiou and Stadiou Streets, you can walk from Syntagma metro station to McDonalds and meet only one person, who will say hello to you. This, in combination with the sales is heaven! For me, at least.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Too hot in August?

Sure, the centre is empty on the 15th August and for a couple of days either side. But there are another 25 days in the month and particularly after about 20th August (which is when I'm there) it's usually as busy as ever. I just think that saying that Athens is empty in August can be a bit misleading, esp. when you don't know when someone is planning to visit.

What constitutes a comfortable temperature is also largely determined by what you're used to. It's 12-23C in London today, however I'm sitting here typing this wearing a vest and shorts, all the windows are open to create a draught and I'm just about comfortable. In the same conditions, the average Athenian would be wearing a T-shirt and jeans, and have no more than one window open for some fresh air. Would I be comfortable climbing towards the Acropolis in temperatures almost double what I'm experiencing at the moment and with bright sunshine too? I'm not sure I would. I'd probably just sit at a cafe and sip an ice cold frappe, and take pictures of the Acropolis instead.

Which to me sounds perfectly good enough (add a tost and I'm in heaven), but if I was in Athens for just a couple of days on the trip of a lifetime, I might not be too happy that I coudn't move about comfortably, if at all.