We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Pick Pocket Victim

Arkansas, USA
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Another Pick Pocket Victim

Mark me down as a victim also of about 300 Euros and all my credit cards. I was pickpocketed with my wallet deep in my Front Cargo pocket after boarding metro at Pireaus. I had just bragged a few days before to my wife that there was no way a pick pocket could get my wallet out of my front pocket without me knowing it. I never felt a thing. There were two of them, one distracted me to the left while the one on the right where my billfold was located picked my pocket. They exited at the first exit, Filero I believe is the name of it. I Realized at the next exit my wallet was gone and Told my wife I just had my Billfold stolen. The only money(and this was American Dollars) and Credit Card We had left was in her purse which was attached to the Top of her Luggage Bag. Not 20 minutes later we exited the Metro VIA the Escalator, she had her luggage on step beside her with purse between her leg and luggage. And just happened to glance behind her she saw a hand quickly draw away from her purse. She screamed at the Guy, Who Quickly yelled I did Nothing. I had just stepped out on top of escalator and wasn't sure what had happened when she yelled at me, He just Tryed to Steal my Billfold out of my purse which was half unzipped, By this time The guy had passed her and made a wide circle around me and took off running, With me hollering for him to stop. Fortunately she spotted him before he had her Billfold or we would have really been in trouble.

We were now at the end of the Metro line which was about 5 miles from our Hotel we had reserved in Glyfada at 4Pm with No Euros. I had planned to take a Taxi from here to our hotel but the Taxi Drivers would not take our American Money. The Bright side of this Story comes now. I walked up to a Kiosk and told the Man working there what had just happened with my money being stolen and ask for directions to Glyfada and how far a walk was it. He said It is to far and two hot for you to walk from here to Glyfada and Immediately give me two bus Tickets and Told me the number of the Bus I needed to get on. He was a Real Lifesaver. I couldn't thank him enough, just wish I would have gotten his address so I could have Repaid him.

These Pick Pockets are Good!! I have traveled extensively the Last few Years and didn't think it could happen to me. Don't take any Chances, I recommend a good comfortable Money Belt under your clothes. I just ordered 2 for my Wife and I.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

Oh thats a terrible thing to happen to you, but thanks for posting this warning.

It is a fact that this sort of crime is increasing, not just in Greece but elsewhere, so it important to warn others not to be complacent.

My mother had her purse stolen out of a deep shopping bag in a charity shop (of all places) in England.

To this day, she doesn't know how it happened as the bag wasn't out of her sight for a moment. She does remember being spoken to, very briefly, by a women who had a couple of children with her.

The police later confirmed that it was a gang that had been targeting older people and they had had reported several other incidents of the same type!

Needless to say, I have now got her a zipped deep bag with a zipped purse compartment at the bottom.

You simply can't be to careful.........wherever you are!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

Hi Ed

Sorry to read about your ordeal and thanks for sharing. I hope you and Cheryl enjoy the rest of your trip without incident.

Greg

Arkansas, USA
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

Hi Greg,

We Just returned home last night. Other than that ordeal we had a Great Trip. Cheryl and I talked about it and Decided we weren't going to let it Take all the fun out of the Trip. Like my Father Always told me, " It's the lessons you learn the hard way that you Remember the Longest". It could have been much worse if it would have had happened on the Way to Naxos instead of on My Return.

Do you have your next Trip Planned? Cheryl and I Fell in Love with Naxos.

Ed

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

EdGray

Sorry to hear about your experience with the pickpocket. That is the same place my husband had his wallet. Also the same area where it happened.

We were fortunate in that my husband new what was happening and grabbed the guy. So he got his wallet back. Actually there was no money in the wallet just his badge some ID's and a credit card. He always wears a money belt.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Maxine

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

Oh my! I'm so sorry Ed!!!

At least you had the chance to meet the Greek hospitality and not just the Greek (?) pickpockets!

I'm so sorry I missed you on Friday! I ended up waiting at home for a bl00dy fax to come, for 5 (FIVE) whole hours!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

Hi Ed

Glad you enjoyed your trip and are safely home.

Yes, I will be in Mykonos, Tinos and Athens in September and counting the days till then. Stay well.

Greg

Arkansas, USA
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

Thalia, Missed not seeing and having a drink and food with You. But we went to Onasis and had a Yahmas to you and other Greek Friends. Cheryl Said I wish Thalia was here so she could order us some of those Great Mezedes we had Last Time. BTW I located My Greek Friends From 35 years ago who now live in Elliniko this Trip and We had a Very Nice Visit.

Arkansas, USA
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

Have a Great Trip Greg, Which I know you will. Remember Don't Put all your Money in One Pocket!! :)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

I too was thinking pretty much the same ut work is work and if you do it with stupid people (hope they don't read thse forums, LOL) takes longer!

Glad you had a nive visit with your friends, you must have a heart full of good memories now!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Pick Pocket Victim

Hey Ed..and sorry to hear about your mishap! Do get those money belts! Glad you didn't let it ruin your plans and you had a great trip..and enjoyed!