We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece & Turkey Trip

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
Greece & Turkey Trip

My husband and I are planning a ONE-WEEK trip in August. Have any of you gone to: Istanbul-Athens-Santorini in a week? Is it possible? We're thinking about traveling by plane only (no ferries or trains).

We'll be flying out from NY/NJ- I'm pretty sure there are flights from Santorini to NJ. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece & Turkey Trip

Hey and welcome LoveBeingMrs;-) Well, you can fly Santorini/NYC via www.olympicairlines.com/ with a plane change in Athens..your luggage will be checked through! There are 3 direct options to Athens from our area to include both Olympic and Delta out of JFK and Continental out of EWR! Having said that..and what you're considering..Olympic would work best since what you may consider doing is flying directly to Istanbul (via a connection in Athens) for a couple of nights..fly back to Athens and connect for a flight to Santorini..then fly back to Athens for your finale! Reason I'd keep Athens for the end is just in case a mishap occurs with that morning flight from Santorini that connects with the trans goes awry, you won't have any 'spread' or comfort zone time in there and can miss the flight! Best to keep Athens as a finale which will guarantee the return! Of course, you *can* do it with Santorini at the end with a flight into Athens to connect for the trans..your call..just a better buffer being in Athens at least the night before! *1 week* on a trans can be anywhere from 5-7 physical nights ON land) so specs on that would certainly help knowing! If you're talking about a minimum of 6 nights, you can do a 2-nighter at each place (bottom line resulting in 1 FULL day at each place)..kinda rushed..but everyone's got their style of travel! Happy planning and ENjoy!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece & Turkey Trip

>Have any of you gone to: Istanbul-Athens-Santorini in a week? Is it possible?<

OF COURSE it is possible...:)..if you are..Superman,I hope that there is a good SANATORIUM in NJ cause in the rare case that you will escape death from exhaustion after such a trip you won't escape exhaustion itself ...:),even an Olympics athlete would be needing at least a ..month's rest after such a ....vacation...:)

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece & Turkey Trip

Thanks for your help.

We only have a week off from work, so unfortunately, I think we'll end up going to one or the other. Not sure whether we'll go to Turkey or Greece. =)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece & Turkey Trip

Hey again:-) With one week, you can take in Athens and Santorini..definetely do-able..OR visit both capitals..Athens and Instabul! Really comes down to how much YOU want experience..and of course, your style of travel! Some don't mind hopping around and overnighting here/there..others prefer 'lingering' longer at a specific place to get to know it..relax a bit! Since you mention August, Athens would indeed be a great place since most folks are on their vacations and out on the isles..City is practically deserted so great time to visit the sites, museums, etc..but HOT! Santorini, on the other hand, will be in full heave mode for sure..Whatever you decide, would suggest trying to get that week in at the tail end of August..as late as possible..blending into Sept if you can! Whatever you decide, am sure you'll have a memorable and fantastic week! Keep enjoyin'!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
776 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece & Turkey Trip

Hi

I agree with Litsa. One week is really not enough to do Athens, Istabul and Santorini.

Stick to Athens & Santorini. To take advantage of cheap flights you need to book soon or it may even be too late for the flight from Athens to Santorini.

Continental from Newark flys direct to Athens up until Sept 06 and US Airways direct from Philadelpia to Athens. (In case you are in South Jersey) Keep it simple and enjoy your trip.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece & Turkey Trip

It is just a matter of time & preferences ....

You will have to choose between the world's most historical city (Athens) & a beautiful island and the world's most beautiful city & again a tremendously historical place (Istanbul) ,unfortunately since Athens is huge & w/ a gazillion of things to see,Santorini definitely an island that begs to be explored (1-2 days are not enough) & Istanbul HUMONGOUS (& again w/ a gazillion of things to see) the choice would be tough...

Climate wise Athens will be blazing hot but dry while Istanbul blazing hot but HUMID...so Athens has an advantage...

Money wise Turkey is WAY cheaper than Greece (especially during the weak dollar times since the Turkish lira has lost 30% of its value in a year.....)

7. Re: Greece & Turkey Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 07:24