We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight at Athens Airport

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight at Athens Airport

We will be arriving at Athens airport at about 11pm from Rome and will be catching our next flight from Athens to Santorini at 6am the next morning. Have anyone tried staying overnight at Athens Airport before? We will be flying with the olympic airline for both flight so not too sure are we allowed to leave the airport or must be stay in the transit lounge if there is any?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

I have spent a lot of time at Athens airport in the middle of the night just recently, is there anything specific you want to know?

A transit lounge does exist.

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

Are there cafes or resturants that open until so late? Does the transit lounge have shower facilities?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

I don't know about shower facilities, but there are cafes (that also serve food) open throughout the night, as well as a McDonald's.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

Hey and welcome bubblytraveller07:-) There is also the Sofitel which is right across the Street from the airport and offers both a cafe/bar (with outside seating as well) along with a seperate full service restaurant open 24X7! No reason to stay in the airport for the entire time if you don't want to..good to get out and get some air! This is a new, modern and convenient airport easily maneuverable since it's all under one roof..encompassed in 1 terminal or building..Upon arrival, you'll exit at the lower lever..walking outside, the Sofitel is smack across the Street..Departures are an escalator or elevator ride up one flight! Have fun..and Enjoy!

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

Thanks for the tips guys! I am wondering am I able to leave the airport since it is a connecting flight. My ticket shows from Rome to Santorini with stopover in Athens.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

Your travel agent or the airline are in the best place to answer this question.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

Hey again:-) Since it's a connecting flight with OA, your luggage should be tagged all the way through to Santorini and you should have your boarding passes as well (although sometimes they'll have you check-in for those seat assignments in Athens!) Either way, you'll just have to go through the security check if you choose to leave the airport building..no problem..have done it many times arriving from the States and even with barely a couple of hours layover awaiting connecting flight to either Salonika or an isle, have always managed a walk outside..just for some air..and to meandor about for a while! If in any doubt, you can certainly check directly with OA..keep enjoyin'!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

hi.

last year we spent about 5-6 hours in the airport and i'm not doing that again!athens airport is in general a very dull place.if i were you i would go for few hours at sofitel no matter the cost.you can ask your airline company if you can leave the airport but i don't think that this would be a problem since you are flying at both destinations by the same airline company and you will receive your luggagers at your final destination.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

I agree with Telis, Airport not the best place to stay.

Two years ago we had 10hr stopover before connecting flight to Kythira (OA). Got a good deal from Sofitel (but we did book four months in advance). Might be worth checking, web prices are usually fairly good, depending on your budget, obviously.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight at Athens Airport

I like the Athens airport- small, easily navigatable, clean..it's new. Yes it might get boring after a while, but I've waited in much worse airports. Go spend some time at the Sofitel and then come back. I wouldn't bother renting a room.