We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

Hello!

My husband and I are arriving back in Athens from Santorini on August 31st and flying out first thing on Sep 1st. we would like to stay near the airport. Sofitel seems to be ideal but pretty pricey. Any other suggestions?! :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

Welcome plotskera1:-) Nothing close enough to be as convenient! Sofitel is literally across the Street from the airport! There are a couple of B&Bs I think mentioned here before but do require a cab ride to get to (believe they do offer transfer back to the airport!) If you're not considering getting the express bus to/from Athens for a stay, Sofitel is your best bet! Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
926 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

Try the St Thomas Bed and Breakfast - www.stay-in-athens.com.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

If you are looking for places less expensive than Sofitel, but still convenient to the airport, look into hotels in areas like Anavyssos, Lagonissi, Vouliagmeni, or even Mati and Rafina, where you'd be less than a half-hour taxi ride from the airport.

Lots of choices in these suburban areas, including some very nice beach resort-type hotels. I have not stayed in any of these, but have seen many of them, and read up on a few for a future stay. One of these is the Plaza Vouliagmeni Strand Hotel -- not new and luxurious, but clean and serviceable. Another the Electra Hotel Apartments, in Vouliagmeni. These may not be new and modern, but I'd stay in either for a night or so. Especially for the much, much lower price than something like Sofitel! They do not get great reviews, but some of these reviewers may have expected to much, perhaps?

You can search Trip Advisor, and also look here:

hotelsofgreece.com/athens/index.html#pireaus

(You'll find the listings outside of Athens near the bottom of the page.)

Happy Travels!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

Just take the 24/7/365 X95 bus and head to the center of the city ,spend your night there & come back to the airport in the morning,any other suggestion will cost more,take more transportation time & will leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere w/ nothing to do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

I'll second that - why stay near the airport when you can stay in town?

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

If I remember correctly, the original poster already has a stay in Athens/Plaka planned... staying at Athens Gate, right? So, I figured they just wanted a nice, less expensive hotel to relax on the last night of the trip, and have a shorter ride to the airport which would let them sleep a while longer in the morning! If that's the case, I see the value in staying in outside of central Athens! I do the same thing, staying the last night with relatives in Glyfada.

Happy Travels!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

Hey all! Unfortunately, we don't know the times involved here since plotskera1 doesn't mention them..but can easily see a late arrival with an early morning departure not very condusive to a r/t bus (or cab) ride only for a few hours of sleep;-) Not much competition for the Sofitel since it is the only property right there at the airport..but convenient and certainly nice enough..can understand wanting to be close especially getting ready to board a very long flight back home! Keep enjoyin' all!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
986 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

Try Peri's Hotel. It's in a residential section, about a 10 minute ride from the airport. The owner includes pick-up and a ride back at no extra cost. It's through a security checkgate by the airport, no traffic at all.

It was built in 2004 and couldn't possibly be any cleaner. It looks like the owner is a fanatic, perfect little flower beds, etc. It's modest, comfortable, and inexpensive. We paid 95E for 3 people, that included taxes and a small bkfst, delivered to our room and consumed on the balcony.

No restaurant though, that's the only possible shortcoming. If you just want a clean place to spend the night, you are good to go here.

There is a taverna bout a 5 minute walk. Gyro for 3 and 3 beers, about 17E. It's in a residential area with some light home construction going on, you might not feel comfortable walking there after dark unless there are several of you. No danger at all, but everyone is different.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

You could try the Holiday Inn on Attica Ave., it seems the primary competition to the Sofitel at a lower price point. I haven't stayed there, but have booked a room there for my son with a very similar travel schedule; late night arrival from Santorini, mid-morning flight leaving Athens.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NEED HELP-hotel near athens airport

Thanks so much guys! We are comming back from Santorini at about 6 p.m. So I figured by the time we get back to a hotel, we are going to be exhausted. Our flight out is at 11a.m. next morning so we have to get to the airport somewhat early. I wanted to spend the night in town again but really dont want to deal with the commute in the morning. will check out all suggestions--THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN