We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Hi!

We will be arriving on the X95 bus from the airport with all our luggage around 10 pm and were wondering where to walk from the bus stop to the Amalia Hotel and how far it is. Would it be easier to just take a taxi?

Also, I heard something about not being able to get bus tickets from the bus driver. Is that true? If so, I guess we need to get them somewhere at the aiport?

Thanks! :-)

Happytrails

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Hi, Happytrails9! We stayed at Amalia, too...nice hotel, centrally located. When you get off the bus, walk straight up (*towards* the Parliament Building which will be in front of you), turn right on Amalias and the hotel will be on your right ( 2 blocks away), with a big sign saying Amalia on its side - you can't miss it.If you have luggage with wheels, it's doable to pull/push it along the slightly uphill walk from the bus stop at Syntagma to the right turn at Amalias.

It's best to buy the tickets from the kiosk outside Entrance/Exit door number 5 at the airport - the bus pulls up there every 10-15 minutes ( X95).We never saw anyone purchase tickets from the driver ( and we used that airport bus several times).

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

P.S. Bus tickets are 3.20 euros a person; a taxi will be considerably more expensive. I think the bus is doable and it's quite safe even at that time to walk from Syntagma to your hotel, but local posters will give you the best advice regarding this.

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

the info provided by livinglife is 100% accurate.the only thing i would add is that when you get on the bus at the airport,you must validate your ticket in the machines on the bus.just watch what the other passengers do and copy them.it should take no more than five - seven minutes to the hotel from the square and it is perfectly safe any time of day or night as amalias is one of the busiest roads in athens.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Thank you Richard and Livinglife!

Always good to know where we're going rather than wander aimlessly in the night. By the way, we'll be carrying our luggage to the hotel from Syntagma Square (no wheels on suitcases). In your opinion, is it still doable? Are those short or long blocks?

One more question on that subject...when we return to take the X95 back to the airport, where can we get our tickets? The Amalia hotel, possibly?

Cheers,

Happytrails

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Short blocks ...but remember the uphill sidewalk after you get off the bus. As long as your luggage is not too heavy, you should be fine..after all, you can walk slowly and stop every now and then to take in the lit-at-night Parliament building :-).

Bus tickets are purchased for your return to airport from the bus driver at the same bus stop, not from your hotel.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Hey Livinglife!

I'm glad you liked the Amalia hotel!

I'm a little confused...in your first post, you mentioned you didn't see anyone purchase tickets from the bus driver and on this latest post, you suggested getting tickets from the driver. Maybe I'm missing something but I'd like some clarification if possible.

Thanks again for your help!

Happytrails :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Hey Happytrails:-) There is a small booth right on sidewalk there by the express bus stop..sometimes it's manned, sometimes it's not! Everytime I have used the bus, there was someone in the booth where I bought the ticket! You can, as well, purchase it ON the bus in case no one is in the booth to accommodate! No worries..you'll see when there..and certainly won't be the only one..easy enough! Have fun..and EnjoY!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Hi Litza,

You're great! Thanks for the help.

Happy Happytrails!

:-))

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Sorry, Happytrails, you're right, I wasn't clear...but Litsa more than made up for my fogginess ;-).

At the airport, there is a clearly designated, manned kiosk right outside Door 5 exit, and the buses pull up right there. Arriving passengers queue up at the kiosk, buy their tickets and then board the bus.

On the way *back* to the airport, however, depending on the time, I guess, the small booth near the bus stop at Syntagma sometimes is not manned. It wasn't when we boarded, so we just bought the tickets from the driver. (Often there are tourists milling around there, asking each other, "Is this the stop for the bus to the airport?" "Where do we get the tickets?" hehehe).

Regarding the Amalia hotel,a little tip: the rooms facing the street/National Gardens get all the street noise so if you are particular about quiet, ask for a room at the back.

Happy Trails!!!! :-)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
186 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus Stop distance to Amalia hotel

Dear Livinglife,

Thank you for elaborating on Litsa's good info! Between you and Litsa, I'm well prepared for the X95!! Tee Hee :-)

Good point about the rooms at the Amalia. We will ask for a room in the back. Appreciate all your help.

Happytrails to you!