We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any bad areas in Athens?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any bad areas in Athens?

Any bad areas that we should stay out of at night?

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any bad areas in Athens?

Athens is a really safe city..BUT like any city in the world, it has gritty, not so lovely spots.

I cannot imagine that a tourist would find a really bad area unless you really got sidetracked and lost.

Staying in a well located hotel, and going to the typical and atypical attractions should have you going about your business, safe, and unthreatened.

You will see things like "avoid Omonia Square"..not because its unsafe, just kind of like Times Square in the early 1980's... "earthy and not refined"..

you will be fine in Athens, watch your pockets in crowds,trains, buses...heads up and eyes wide open, just as you should be in any place unfamiliar to you.

go have fun...you are going to love it!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any bad areas in Athens?

The only REALLY unsafe place in the Athens region is ZEFYRI which is around 35 kilometers away from the city center,this is strictly ROM (gipsy) teritory and of course no one in his right mind would ever go there after dark.

Of course I've never even been there and I've been living in Athens for more than I want to remember...:)

The backstreets of Omonia have been cleared from drugs & prostitution lately but of course in the typicall Greek way (the ladies & dealers have simply been mooved 4-5 block to the west...:):))

It's not a pretty sight & you do need to pay attn. but they are not "dangerous" (unless of course you want to get involved in drug dealing & prostitution...)

The rest of Athens is TOTALLY safe at ANY time.

3. Re: Any bad areas in Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2010, 06:38