We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

pgh
8 posts
Save Topic
5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

Help!! My husband, 19 yr old daughter and myself would like to spend semester break in Greece the last week of October. All suggestions would be appreciated, from where to stay to where to visit. We don't want to go crazy running from one place to another, but do want to see the wonderful sights in Athens as well as some places that those of you that are familiar with this beautiful country could recommend. thanks for any help that you might offer.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

If you are already in Europe, planning to take a break there for that short time, go to it! But if you are planning to fly from the USA east coast (pittsburgh??) your travel time is waaaay long for the time u can be there. Leaving US east coast at 4 - 6 pm, you dont arrive Athens until 9- 10 am next day if u go nonstop; if u have a layover in Europe it could be as late as 4 pm... 24 hrs on the clock. Is it worth it, for just 4 nights? I don't want to rain on your parade, but do think it over.

With just 4 nights, I would say, stay in athens! If a foreigner said they had just 4 days after arriving at JFK, you would not suggest only 2 days in NYC then spend half a day traveling to spend 1.5 days in Washington... you'd say, stay in NYC. Use the same logic about Greece. Even going to the closest island & back would take up a full day, and such islands don't hve the scenic impact you see on those posters.

My actual advice, if you could stand to wait, would be to go with your dughter for a minimum of 10 days just as soon as she is out of school (college) in the Spring. June is THE perfect month to see Greek isles in sunny beauty, without crowds, lovely beaches, brisk but swimmable water, gleamnig white houses, loooong days & sunsets.

October semester-break -- how about leaf-peeping in New England or North Carolina??

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
England
England
United Kingdom
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

Although a week is a very short time and jet lag can be an issue I would say that a week in Athens is worth it.

There is lots to see in Athens and if you run out of interest then rent a car from the airport and head off to Nauplion for a couple of nights. It is about 2.5 hours on very good raods from Athens. It is a lovely seaside town with Neoclassical buildings, and three Venetian fortresses. You can also stop at Ancient Corinth ( the Roman city) Ancient Nemia ( a sister city to Olympia) Mycenae and Ancient Tiryns on the way to Nauplio.

Here are some pictures.

Athens

travel.webshots.com/album/570719132pdjjHG

Nauplion

travel.webshots.com/album/551991579dJbWvh

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Olympia
Olympia
Elis Region, Greece
nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

Athens is a beautiful city full of so much history and so much to see and do. IMO it is worth it! I spent 6 days there last year and it wasn't nearly enough for me! What sort of budget are you looking at for hotels? You'll get all sorts of great advice if you just give some specifics.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
pgh
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

thanks so much for the information and suggestions. i guess i forgot to mention that we will be arriving from rome as our daughter is attending university there. so we are on visa restrictions of 5 days only out of italy. does this help and is it do-able?

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

I think it works fine and is a very worthwhile side trip- If I remember correctly the flight from Rome doesn't take very long at all. And it's very easy to get into Athens now that the metro is running again.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

Hi pattyinpgh,

I'd only recommend the organzied tours for a short Athens stay, especially the full day ones, -Argolis or Delphi. This way you can see some of the countryside, without the worry of how,

--in particular, the Argolis full day tour combines Mycenae, Epidaurus and Nauplion. Impossible to do with public transport in one day {well unless you want to drop from exhaustion}

Delphi on the other day, can easily be dealt with by local bus, as the town and the site/museum is rather compact, if you want to be more flexible, {it will also save you money}

The afternoon Cape Sounion tour again is better off done with the organized tour, and then you may find the option of the One day cruise appealing...although it is in a nutshell a very tiring day,with limited time on the 2 islands, although more extended time on Hydra {for shopping...that's where all the gold jewellery shops are..}...you can easily just hop on a ferry to Aegina or Poros for a great day on an island as an option.

As you may have read on this forum, Athens is great for those who enjoy walking, with all the new pedestrianized zones, so bring your walking shoes - much better explored on foot than by tour bus.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
Hydra
Hydra
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
Aegina
Aegina
Poros
Poros
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

Patti -- the Voice of Wisdom has spoken (and it's not me, it's the last poster who speaks from long experience in the travel industry!!). With your tight schedule, the CHAT 1-day tour of Nauplion - Mycenae - shows u the most in limited time.

IF you decide to do Delphi on public bus the first one is at 7:30 arrives 10:30 a.m. (Take a taXi to LIssion Street Station). Last bus back is 1800(6pm). Your round-trip bus fare will be about €26 + RT Taxi about €15 ... way less than commercial tour... PLUS u get 6+ hours on site, especially if u picnic thre, while the commercial tour drags u away from there about 1:30 or 2 to a taverna lunch (u pay) and a Rug store!.

However, To get the most out of Delphi, read up ahead of time and/or print out -- here are the sites I've found useful:

ancient-greece.org/archaeology/delphi-archae…

…hsc.edu/drjclassics/sites/delphi/delphi.shtm

…hsc.edu/drjclassics/…sacredway.shtm

Great Map of site! frommers.com/images/…1662_ancientdelphi.jpg

Mentioned in this post
Delphi
Delphi
Phocis Region, Greece
8. Re: 5 Days and 4 nights in Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 06:21