We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
305 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

We are staying 1 night in Athens before boarding our cruise in late June 2010.

I have booked at Athens Gate for my extended family (We are a party of 7 adults, 2 teenagers, 2 children). The hotel looks lovely.

BUT...is noise really a problem?

If it is, which other hotel would you recommend in the same area and price range?

Many thanks,

nana

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

Just ask for either (1) a top floor room or (2) a room away from Amalia avenue ... the side or back of the hotel will be quiet. The front is on Amalia, which is at least 3 lanes in either directions and filled with cars and busses 22 hours of the 24.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

We have stayed a few times in Athens, in different hotels...

But... Athens Gate...

Well, were so happy with it, that we gone book again for this year.

We stayed there last year, for two nights.

Noise wasn't a problem for us because, we slept on the 6th floor. But...you are right, it's on a really BIZZY street. (Think that TJ is a bit wrong here... it's not bizzy 22/24... nooooo... it's more like 24/24..;-)) So indeed ask for a room on the back site of the hotel.

Why Athens Gate... our room was very clean, (not to big tough), good beds, bathroom very light, and with view on "Zeus temple". BIG terrace,(only on the 6th floor) with a couple of seats, so in the evening we could enjoy the view over Athens city and "the Temple"...

Staff.... BEHOND what you would expect!!!!! They are so nice and friendly... Never had this experience before... (one of the major reasons we are going back)

Restaurant... Very good food and very good prices...with, of course, a breathtaking view on the Acropolis by night...and again, that lovely staff!!!

The only hotel we have stayed in, that was in a more "quit area", was the "St George Lycabettus"...but, due to some "Marriage party's", we couldn't dine here, and the noise IN the hotel wasn't so funny at all!!!

I think, all by all, that Athens Gate gone turn out VERY good for you and your family....enjoy your trip!!!!

Antwerp
Level Contributor
365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

Woeps... sorry guy's... small mistake.... didn't stay on the 6th.. but on the 7th floor....

Small keyboard.... big fingers... LOL...

;-)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,198 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

NO, it is not that noisy at all. We stayed 3 nights in December and enjoyed it very much. As TJ and flcrx have mentioned, the rooms facing the main street will be affected by noise from traffic so you should book rooms facing the back or 6th floor rooms facing the front. We stayed on the 6th floor, facing the Acropolis (back), and the view at night from the balcony was fantastic.

Apart from street noise, TA members staying on the 7th floor have commented about the noise from the chairs scraping against the restaurant floor (above). That noise, if noticeable, would be annoying. I have suggested to the hotel's management to buy some "glider pads" for the chair legs. This would reduce the scraping noise when metal chair legs are dragged across the tile floors.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

I thought that sound waves rise, so the higher you are, the noisier it could be...unless we are talking about skyscrapers...

Athens Gate is located on the busiest road in central Athens, Amalias Avenue although recently renovated with latest soundproof technology, the back rooms as stated offer an alternative, although the lower floors do not offer any type of view.

As an alternative, the Royal Olympic {also recently renovated} maybe less than 100 m away is located sideways to Amalias Avenue, and almost with "its back" to Syngrou Avenue [which extends into Amalias}. It has very similar rates, is 5* although most of its Temple of Zeus views are obtained from the Athenian Panorama rooms and not from the standard room rate. The RO building takes a corner, which is also part of its new wing where many of the rooms there face Kallirois street, a very busy street as well.

I think the Athens Gate is an excellent choice, but if you prefer something much quietr then take a look at the Herodion or the Electra palace {rates will be a little higher for the latter although it's located in the heart of Plaka on a very narrow >pedestrain, cars only, no coaches as it's too narrow for them to pass}

Piraeus, Greece
Level Contributor
115 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

The problem of noise depends greatly on personal perception. I met a Japanese couple who stayed in Athens Plaza (not far from Athens Gate) and were so annoyed by the traffic noise that they had to change rooms a couple of times, in vain. This surprised me greatly, as more than 50 people who stayed in the same hotel never mentioned about it to me.

If you think you or any of your family members are/is particularly sensitive to traffic noise, it is better to stay somewhere hidden from the major roads. Otherwise, I think it will probably OK.

Have a happy stay in Athens :)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
305 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

Thank you all for the replies. In the meantime, I will request rooms on the upper floors in the hope they will be quieter.

A Greek family friend actually mentioned she preferred Elektra to Athens Gate. So, I am off to research more about Elektra....too bad their rooms are so ho hum.

8. Re: Is Athens Gate really that noisy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2010, 05:19