We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

Hello,

I've just come across Wikipedia's page about Athens Cathedral, which seems to suggest - but I may be giving an incorrect interpretation of its meaning - that the church may be currently closed.

Link: …wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Cathedral_o…

("...Currently, the Cathedral is going under renovation. Archbishop Ieronymos of Athens announced at the beginning of 2009 that the Cathedral will be closed for a year due to a revamp.")

I recall, though, very recent threads on the forum where locals suggested attending next Easter Mass at the Mitropolis, so I assume that the church is open and operating normally. Is that correct?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

The cathedral is open for sightseeing purposes, but otherwise closed due to ongoing renovation (still applied in January this year). The Easter Saturday mass is most probably outdoor.

Here is to give you an idea about the cathedral and the area:

http://tinyurl.com/86emm8

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

this is a relevant post

tripadvisor.com/…23802850

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

Thank you both,

I'm happy to hear it's open at least for sightseeing purposes. I will most probably pop in for a quick visit on one of my afternoons in Athens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

Dotting – I really wouldn't make the cathedral part of your 'sightseeing' programme. It isn't really typical of Greek Orthodox Churches, especially since it was boarded up after the earthquake some years ago. When you go inside, you can't see very much, as the wooden planks cut off the view of much of the ceiling. It was built in the 19th Century and doesn't have many of the features usually associated with Greek Orthodox churches, e.g. the beautiful frescoes. I have always had a particular affection for the Cathedral, and I used to come on Sunday morning whenever I was in Athens – the chanting was amazing. I don't know what will happen this year –the whole of the Easter Saturday Resurrection liturgy couldn't take place outside – if the politicians and other public figures come to have their candles lit as usual, then the liturgy will continue inside. Most people do start to make their way home, or to restaurants serving the traditional soup as soon as the candles are lit, but the liturgy continues until maybe 2.00 am and ends after people have taken communion. Often red eggs are given out at the end of the liturgy. If you're in Athens on Friday and you have time, it's particularly interesting to go to some of the small churches to see the different Epitaphioi covered with flowers. These will be carried out and around the neighbouring streets in processions in the evening. You might decide to come back to one of the churches on Saturday evening. My own particular favourites are Agios Philippos, near Thission (Very old church, covered in fantastic wall paintings) and Agios Nikolaos, just above Odos Tripodon, in Plaka, close to Psaras taverna.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

I also add some images from Greek Easter celebrations - this one is from Naxos:

http://tinyurl.com/ddga86

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

If you are in the neighbourhood and wish to visit a wonderful church, I highly recommend stopping by Panayi Chryssospiliotissa on Aiolou Street. It's a beautiful church with very nice ambience.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

Yes, I agree! It's very lovely, and it's a big church, so you might even get a seat! Also nearby, at the end of Evripidou, the little church of the Agioi Theodoroi. They usually have a beautiful Epitaphios, too. Rather unusual ikon of the Virgin on the right hand side.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

Speaking of rare icons, there is a very rare one of Saint Nektarios in Panayia Romvi, on Evangelistrias Street.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

There is an Agios Phillipos just off Adrianou street, Monasteraki, is this the one you mean Nikoletta? It's just by the entrance of the Ancient Agora, and it has a 2 way entrance...

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens Cathedral - Mitropolis

Is this the one you refer to in Adrianou ?

http://tinyurl.com/yjlekzs